Starting seeds in just water

Reaction score
I started an experiment with some potato seeds and daisy seeds last week. I put just some water in two styrofoam cups and put seeds on the top. I put the cups under my window sill and left them alone until today. I looked in the cups and saw some seeds have germinated into some small seedlings.

I took the seedlings and put them into other styrofoam cups with dirt. I plan on giving them away to whomever wants a potato plant or daisy flowers. I just wanted to see if they really would grow without dirt.

Reaction score
I thought so as well @headfullofbees Sadly I doubt those seedlings will survive there, since they didn't have the chance to germinate in soil. Poor things, one or two of them could survive, but it would be more like a miracle to be honest-

Reaction score
When they are in the soil they are strengthened by the effort it takes to push through the soil in order to root and grow. I water they don't have that so they will probably be weak, they have received no nutrients from the soil at all if they are germinated in water.

Reaction score
I hope your seeds make it. I put seeds wrapped in a damp paper towel inside a plastic bag to start rooting. It seems to work for me sometimes. I guess this is similar to your method.

Ask a Question