Starting a New Aloe Vera Plant From A Leaf

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
My daughter purchased this leaf from a Aloe Vera plant and now she wants to know what to do with it. I have never proprogated an aloe vera plant so have no idea what to do.

I first thought she had plans to use it as first aid. But she was told to stick the leaf in water and it would root. I have placed it in water but no roots or new growth yet.

Any one have experience with growing a new plant from a leaf of aloe vera?

Reaction score
The best time to propagate an Aloe this way is in late spring or early summer, which is when they are actively putting roots out and is very easily done, by putting the leaf in any well drained, dry but not too rich soil and only watering the cutting once it has started growing, but not too much or else you will kill the cutting.
I wouldn't suggest placing an Aloe leaf in water, as being a good way to propagate an Aloe, as its probably not very likely to be successful and result in you having an Aloe plant. Although the leaves can live for up to month, once removed from the mother plant they will eventually die a mushy death if placed in water, especially as Aloes are succulents and require very little water in order to survive
Even though its not the right time of year, think that it might be worth trying to retrieve yours, by first removing it from the water and allowing it to dry out, and then once it has dried, which could take up to a week, place it in some dry, well drained soil - but don't expect to see any activity for what could be some considerable time - the ones I do in the growing season, have been known to take anywhere between 3 to 4 months.

Reaction score
Very good luck with that, Pat! I have several aloe vera plants, and I have never tried propagating them this way. I usually cut the new ''growths'' that look like a tiny version of the plant. I then bury it in the soil, water it a bit and hope for the best, lol. Since they're succulents, they don't require a lot care, just water it when they're really dry. I've a tiny plant that I'm sure is linked to the aloe vera, but it has taken years to get to the size it is now! They're so slow!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I took the leaf out of the water to allow it to dry out. I also read in my plant book that the leaf should go in soil not water. Hopefully there has not been too much damage done to the plant. I will allow the leaf to dry out for awhile and then put it in some potting soil.

Thanks for the tips.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've never tried to grow aloe vera from a leaf, I had no idea it's possible! I must give it a try:) I love aloe vera, it's one of my favorite plants. It's so useful! I apply aloe gel on my face every day, it makes my skin smooth and healthy:)

Reaction score
Perhaps just lay the leaf on top of dry soil. It a succulent so it has its own supply of moisture. My grandmother use to root jade plant leaves by pinning them to her kitchen curtain, potting them once they had roots.

Reaction score
Firelily - have to say pinning succulent leaves to your curtains sounds like a very novel way of propagating :D

However pinning an aloe leaf to a curtain or just laying it on the soil wouldn't work, because the end of an aloe leaf skins over and dries out - making it impossible for roots to form - so the only way to get an aloe plant from a leaf, is to insert the leaf into some soil.

Reaction score
Well,it does work with a jade leaf so I took a shot and missed. I never tried to root an aloe plant so took a guess and missed by a mile! Thanks for letting me know.

dan

Reaction score
Country
United States
My daughter purchased this leaf from a Aloe Vera plant and now she wants to know what to do with it. I have never proprogated an aloe vera plant so have no idea what to do.

I first thought she had plans to use it as first aid. But she was told to stick the leaf in water and it would root. I have placed it in water but no roots or new growth yet.

Any one have experience with growing a new plant from a leaf of aloe vera?
They cannot be propagated by a leaf. Aloe vera is propagated by taking an offset (baby plant) hopefully with some roots attached from the mother plant and potting the offset up. Keep in the shade and do not water for about a week to allow any damaged roots to heel. Plant in a fast draining soil suitable for cacti.
Too much water results in root rot and fungal problems.

Bee

Reaction score
Country
Puerto Rico
I love how aloe vera plants are very easy to maintain.They don't require much effort to have in the garden and very little water..Aloe vera plants do the best in tropical areas where the weather is warm all year round.

Reaction score
Oh, this is great information. I have always wanted my own aloe vera plant. I will ask a friend if I can have a leaf and try this to get my own plant started.

Bee

Reaction score
Country
Puerto Rico
Yes Aloe Vera grows pretty good in the window sill or if you live in a warm climate they grow even stronger outside.Since my mom has a nice aloe vera plant growing in her window sill she makes sure she snaps off pieces of the plant to give to her friends around the holidays.I like how aloe vera can be used for almost anything.I remember growing up how my mom would treat me scars,scrapes and sores from rubbing the aloe vera gel on them.I remember how sticky it was and never knew the name of the plant...but I would always remember how it sped up the healing process very quickly!

Reaction score
Country
United States
They cannot be propagated by a leaf. Aloe vera is propagated by taking an offset (baby plant) hopefully with some roots attached from the mother plant and potting the offset up. Keep in the shade and do not water for about a week to allow any damaged roots to heel. Plant in a fast draining soil suitable for cacti.
Too much water results in root rot and fungal problems.

I agree with this: I tried growing aloe vera from a small leaf, and it only shriveled up and died. I suggest letting the main plant grow large and take the baby aloe bulbs when they have sufficiently rooted.

Bee

Reaction score
Country
Puerto Rico
Great idea! Sticking the leaf in a cup of room temperature water for a week or so keeps it healthy and growing as well.Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I look forward to growing more aloe vera around my house.It is such a beautiful and beneficial plant. I've seen so many different kinds.The last time I went grocery shopping at Trader Joe's I saw that they had different kinds of aloe vera plants for sale.I couldn't help but pick one to purchase.

Ask a Question