Country
United States
Australia at it again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I just don't know about this type of stuff. Whether it's good or bad. It does what it claims but when ever I have used starter fluids it seems that it is addictive. Use it a few times and it appears that the engine is addicted to it and will never start again without using it, no matter if the motor has been repaired and cured of the problem which caused it to not start in the first place. Kinda like crack cocaine for engines.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I just don't know about this type of stuff. Whether it's good or bad. It does what it claims but when ever I have used starter fluids it seems that it is addictive. Use it once or twice and it appears that the engine is addicted to it and will never start again without using it, no matter if the motor has been repaired and cured of the problem which caused it to not start in the first place. Kinda like crack cocaine for engines.
I use it to isolate spark or fuel issues. Mostly airflow is a problem as it relates to a leaking carb, so it shows as a lack of fuel flow. Sometimes I use it to wake up equipment I have not used in a year that is getting close to but has not been overhauled.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I use it to isolate spark or fuel issues. Mostly airflow is a problem as it relates to a leaking carb, so it shows as a lack of fuel flow. Sometimes I use it to wake up equipment I have not used in a year that is getting close to but has not been overhauled.
I used to have an old Ford 4 cyl tractor. I didn't use it too often but after sitting idle for a few months it was difficult to start so I would give it a couple of squirts. I had the idea that if I fixed the engine I would get more money when I sold it so I had it completely overhauled. After the overhaul it had more power and ran better but would still be hard to start without the juice. Broke even on the cost.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I used to have a old crane at a company i used to own it wouldn't start without it old Gardener engine i bet the engine is still running to this day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I just don't know about this type of stuff. Whether it's good or bad. It does what it claims but when ever I have used starter fluids it seems that it is addictive. Use it a few times and it appears that the engine is addicted to it and will never start again without using it, no matter if the motor has been repaired and cured of the problem which caused it to not start in the first place. Kinda like crack cocaine for engines.

I would agree with the fact that engines seem to get addicted to it. So would the US Army! I distinctly remember that they used to have some RT forklifts back in the 70's that had a bottle permanently mounted, and operated from a cable that was by the drivers seat!

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I've experienced that seeming "dependency" develop. I try to use starter fluid only when absolutely necessary. In addition to the dependency thing, engine damage can result if too much is used....but sometimes its just necessary to use it to get going.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
I don't think starter fluid should be used on any small garden & lawn equipment.
I have a couple containers with different tips for working on fuel flow problems.

A plain old dish soap container with the small nozzle is good for squirting a shot of gasoline/ mix right in the carb throat. A tiny oil can or a suringe works well to squirt a small amount of fuel in a spark plug hole.

Many times the best thing to do if the above dosen't get the equipment started is to remove the carb and disect it to a hunk of metal in a pot/can/pail for carb cleaner or lacquer thinner.

There is a product called VP Fuel Fix you might try before useing starter fluid and removing the carb for cleaning.

:D Al

Reaction score
Country
United States
Starter fluid is the easiest way to separate a fuel problem from an electrical problem. The other alternative is a small amount of gas in the spark plug hole. I've never encountered a problem using either, to the contrary it's often the only way to get a stubborn engine running

Ask a Question