St. Augustine Lawn Grass, Salvage or Start Over?

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
Water the lawn with water once a week, mow regularly and it will be fine. If you can mow with a basket, otherwise some grasses are capricious and the grass turns yellow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Many people do not know just how much water a lawn needs. They either water too much or not enough. Most grasses require about the same amount of water. In most circumstances 1 inch per week is sufficient but in S. Calif the lawn might require a little more Here in Texas during the heat of summer 1 1/2 inches is sufficient. How to determine how much water you have laid down on the grass...... The easiest and simplest way is to place a few tuna fish cans around the lawn and measure how long it takes to fill up the cans. A tuna can holds 1 inch of water. Set your timer to this after finding out how long it takes to fill the cans. The worst thing you can do to a lawn when watering is to water a little but often. A lawn needs a good deep soaking each time you water. If you just water 1/4 inch 4 times per week your grass will not develop a deep root system. The water needs to go deep. And, depending on your temperatures 1 - 1 1/2 inches per week . I would start out with a 1 inch program and go up to 1 1/2 if needed. Rarely will grass need more than 1 1/2 inches per week.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Many people do not know just how much water a lawn needs. They either water too much or not enough. Most grasses require about the same amount of water. In most circumstances 1 inch per week is sufficient but in S. Calif the lawn might require a little more Here in Texas during the heat of summer 1 1/2 inches is sufficient. How to determine how much water you have laid down on the grass...... The easiest and simplest way is to place a few tuna fish cans around the lawn and measure how long it takes to fill up the cans. A tuna can holds 1 inch of water. Set your timer to this after finding out how long it takes to fill the cans. The worst thing you can do to a lawn when watering is to water a little but often. A lawn needs a good deep soaking each time you water. If you just water 1/4 inch 4 times per week your grass will not develop a deep root system. The water needs to go deep. And, depending on your temperatures 1 - 1 1/2 inches per week . I would start out with a 1 inch program and go up to 1 1/2 if needed. Rarely will grass need more than 1 1/2 inches per week.
Luckily there has been an abundance of rain recently, because I have now found I have a broken irrigation pipe, three lost (overgrown) sprinkler heads, one broken off sprinkler head, and a bad controller unit. After dethatching and adding top soil, it already seems like it's responding, though slowly. But the big bare patch has already shown some filling in at the edges. Going to fertilize in a few minutes, and start shopping for some PVC, heads and a new controller unit. Finding those overgrown sprinkler heads is going to be fun.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Nice, did you fertilize before or after using the plugs? I have to lay some basic topsoil to fill in a bunch of holes and level some areas, then I have the fert and soil amendment and plugs. Does it matter what order you use the Fertilizer?
Use the fertilizer after. Let it soak down.

Ask a Question