Squirrels!!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, new to the forum. We have two peach trees in our backyard and those pesky squirrels start eating them just before they get ripe. We have tried everything and can’t keep them away. The main issue is they are planted right next to our fence so there is no real way to keep them off. I need help as to a deterrent. We’ve tried sparkly streamers, wrapping them in deer mesh, pepper spray on the fruit, fake animal deferents, everything! Any other ideas that might be out there?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The're have been numerous threads on this subject and as far as I know, there is no solution except one. And that is to shoot the little buggers. Here in Texas squirrels are everywhere and on the gardening radio talk shows folks are raving about a new product on the market that gives the critters a fear of death. It is made by Epic and marketed under the name of Scram. I have not used the product and my initial researching of the product shows the main active ingredient is bloodmeal and a few other additives. I have used bloodmeal by itself on everything from deer to mice and it didn't work but perhaps this stuff does. I will just stick to a proven remedy, a .22 or a pellet gun. Epic makes a Scram for every animal i.e. deer, rabbits, cats etc. I have taken care of my squirrel problem but I am still overrun with deer so I might try the Deer Scram.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
The best solution is an outside dog(s). Far better than chemicals, poisons, etc.

An added bonus is they (dogs) are not discriminatory, i.e. they will also protect against deer, rabbits, coons, etc. etc.

A "junk yard" type dog makes the best deterrent but even the pedigreed ones can be trained to go after pests. Squirrels? No problem here.
onions feb 2019.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
Here at SandburRanch I use them for target practice but didn't want to mention that for possibly offending some. As a kid in the 40's I hunted them to eat using a .22 that didn't have a rear sight, but now I have what I call my shop made sniper .22 and can take 80 yard shots with a .22 short HP.

Attachments

• squirrel sniper long shot-2008.jpg
    squirrel sniper long shot-2008.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 135
  • squirrel long shot  2008.jpg
    squirrel long shot 2008.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 139
  • Squirrel rifle sniper 22 -2008.jpg
    Squirrel rifle sniper 22 -2008.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 136
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I use a spray deterrent as well as a few tell and a fake hawk and I occasionally go out and thin the crowd with an air rifle. There spray seems fairly effective for about a week at a time. You can get decided that him up to a hose that spray when then sense motion. This would probably be the most effective. All of the other methods are only effective for relatively short periods and then you have to resort, move bird of pray and new squirrels move into the area and need thinned out.

Reaction score
Country
United States
They used to get my peaches too, however i stopped them by putting out all the regular popcorn they can eat. They prefer the popcorn over peach pits. I just fill up feeders with popcorn and put them close the the peach trees. It takes a lot corn but it works where my peaches are growing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
They used to get my peaches too, however i stopped them by putting out all the regular popcorn they can eat. They prefer the popcorn over peach pits. I just fill up feeders with popcorn and put them close the the peach trees. It takes a lot corn but it works where my peaches are growing.
A covered feeder? Nobody likes mushy popcorn! I will try this to see if the grays can be distracted off the bird feeders.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
You'll not find squirrels in an open area without trees populated so they can jump from tree to tree to escape.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I tried regular corn kernels, the stuff sold as deer corn. The squirrels loved it but when my peaches began to ripen they loved the peaches even more. So out came the .22.
We put out deer corn and have done for years. The squirrels by far prefer the black oil sunflower seeds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We put out deer corn and have done for years. The squirrels by far prefer the black oil sunflower seeds.
I am quite sure that they do prefer the sunflower seeds, so do I. However , I am not one to reward bad conduct but I will offer a bribe to offenders and if that doesn't work, well, out come the guns.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
There are no limits on gray squirrel here. Neither time nor quantity last I checked. I do find that if I cull them prior to spring then I only have to go to the trouble about every 2 years. I use a .22 caliber airgun made by Gamo called a Whisper. It uses a compressed air cylinder much like a shock absorber instead of a spring. It has a suppressor, which helps keep the neighbors from engaging in any nervous activity related to my interests.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There are no limits on gray squirrel here. Neither time nor quantity last I checked. I do find that if I cull them prior to spring then I only have to go to the trouble about every 2 years. I use a .22 caliber airgun made by Gamo called a Whisper. It uses a compressed air cylinder much like a shock absorber instead of a spring. It has a suppressor, which helps keep the neighbors from engaging in any nervous activity related to my interests.
I used to have a .20 pellet gun of the pump up kind called a Sheridan Silver Streak. This was many many years ago. At 10 pumps it was equal to a .22 short. I always used it at 6 pumps and I killed untold numbers of rats, feral cats, rabbits, squirrels, rattle snakes and other vermin. I even killed a racoon with it. They still make this gun but it isn't nearly as powerful or a well made as it was back then. Here there are so many squirrels that it is open season year round. Back then there was an actual hunting season on squirrels, not that it made any difference, as it was part of my daily job on our little farm. We had a creek bottom on one edge of the property that had about 10 pecan trees which made a sizeable portion of our yearly income. I could write a book on my squirrel hunting episodes. They become really really smart after being shot at a time or two.

Ask a Question