Squirrels and magnolia

Reaction score
Can anyone here tell me if squirrels will eat magnolia buds? The grey squirrels here are always in our stellata, which is full of buds and I'm wondering what the attraction is. I haven't noticed any gnawing, but I'm curious.
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Most of my neighbors grow magnolia trees and I've never seen any squirrels in them. Those cute creatures always choose my walnut trees.
I'm talking about Polish, red squirrels though, I'm not sure if the grey ones have the same food preferences:LOL:

Reaction score
Gray squirrels will eat the magnolia buds, they do look tasty! You probably won't be able to keep them out of the trees so what I would do is get some cheap seed or cracked corn and put it in a corner of the yard away from the trees. Squirrels will go to the easiest food they can find so make it easy for them to find food!

Reaction score
Firelily is right, gray squirrels do eat magnolia buds, and sadly there isn't much you can do to stop that from happening. They might not be eating them now, but they will surely eat them in the future. Just try to create another source of food, just like firelily said.

Reaction score
Oh, they eat well around here! They get corn and mixed seeds (pigeon feed) all winter, and regularly rob the bird feeders, especially the suet blocks. I'll have to keep my fingers crossed, then. Maybe a few old CDs hung in the tree will keep them away? Thanks for the replies.
John

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dear John. I would love to buy a sweet stellata for my grey and black squirrel infested yard. Could you provide an update on how your magnolia has fared? Blooms? Breakage? Any comments on the squirrel/magnolia battle are welcome!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Dear John. I would love to buy a sweet stellata for my grey and black squirrel infested yard. Could you provide an update on how your magnolia has fared? Blooms? Breakage? Any comments on the squirrel/magnolia battle are welcome!
2014 post date.. @Becky tells me most likely everybody is long gone.

Reaction score
HARO last posted on 12th October 2017.
Geeze, how time flies! I've been pre-ocupied with other things going on in our lives. Lost our son two years ago after fighting cancer for three years, and had a hard time getting back to gardening, etc. As for the stellata, the tree rats are DEFINITELY dining on the buds! And a recent snow storm broke several branches off. All in all, though, it puts on a beautiful, if short, show every spring.

Ask a Question