Squirrel Abuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We have squirrels that dig into our potted plants on our patio. Apart from draping netting over the pots, would anyone have a solution how to stop the squirrels please?
Many thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Thorny trimmings from roses or other plants. Squirrels paws aren't made to withstand thorns. You also could cover the soil with screen, leaving an opening around the plant's stem. Or, best yet, get a dog that likes to chase squirrels!:)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thorny trimmings from roses or other plants. Squirrels paws aren't made to withstand thorns. You also could cover the soil with screen, leaving an opening around the plant's stem. Or, best yet, get a dog that likes to chase squirrels!:)
Thanks for your response

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
We have a lot of squirrels also. I plant densely in my large containers using ground covers so there is no noticeable soil showing. Squirrels seem to prefer easy digging so using plants like hostas, ferns, day lilies are never bothered. I fill the pot and once established even shallow rooted plants aren’t bothered. For a large house plant (ficus benjami) that my cat decided to use as a litter box I used rocks. You can try larger decorative stones and a plant ground cover with similar watering requirements. I used a ground cover so they weren’t noticeable in the pot and I like plants spilling over the edges of pots even in the house.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a lot of squirrels also. I plant densely in my large containers using ground covers so there is no noticeable soil showing. Squirrels seem to prefer easy digging so using plants like hostas, ferns, day lilies are never bothered. I fill the pot and once established even shallow rooted plants aren’t bothered. For a large house plant (ficus benjami) that my cat decided to use as a litter box I used rocks. You can try larger decorative stones and a plant ground cover with similar watering requirements. I used a ground cover so they weren’t noticeable in the pot and I like plants spilling over the edges of pots even in the house.
Thank you for responding

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Hi
We have squirrels that dig into our potted plants on our patio. Apart from draping netting over the pots, would anyone have a solution how to stop the squirrels please?
Many thanks
Before I answer you your question. Let me add what squirrels have done to us, chewed the break lines on our truck. So I am heading down our long driveway, thank goodness not fast and then realize no brakes, was able to down shift to slow it down, and when it stopped put it into park then turned off the engine. Of course there is cost to tow it to the shop and fix it. NEXT in my sweet sporty car, suddenly there is smoke coming from under the hood. turned off car and found a nest of nuts, few mins later and flames would have happened. So we don't like squirrels, normally for years our male cats have kept them stressed. But the cats are in heaven. So final answer after all that----I have a sweet neighbor who takes aim every now and then . And we have vultures who help with the process afterwards. Neither of us are sad.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I use to have a live and let live attitude towards squirrels til they robbed me of every apple off my 2 gala trees before they even got ripe. Now it's no mercy for them. The cat is more good at distracting them while I get a bead on them than he is at killing them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I use to have a live and let live attitude towards squirrels til they robbed me of every apple off my 2 gala trees before they even got ripe. Now it's no mercy for them. The cat is more good at distracting them while I get a bead on them than he is at killing them.
mine cats would chase and keep them treed. I called that stressing them. That is when I had 3 large males that were fearsome. Now down to a little old lady 19 years old, her daughter 18 years old and one lazy male who likes to sleep a lot. A good hunting male cat, you just lucky when you get one. Yes, after the cost of fixing my cars---forget it. The vultures take care of stuff then.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I guess I've been blessed with good hunting male cats. Last one, Sid Vicious, was really hard on the squirrels. He had help tho, my dog and the cat would tag team them. When one was traveling across the top of the fence the dog would run over and bump the fence knocking the squirrel to the ground where Sid did the deed. At first he'd eat the whole squirrel, then he only ate the heads. He was still killing critters in his yard at 16 and blind.

New cat Maximus is good at hunting everything except the squirrels. As an orange tabby his coloring doesn't help him. He's fearless tho, I see him stalking the baby deer no doubt wishing to himself that he was bigger, ha.. He's scared off full grown bucks feeding on corn doing one of his mock attacks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Many thanks

We have a couple of squirrels that visit our small garden.
They have a feeder, I feed them peanuts in the winter and kibbled peanuts during the summer, so they won't try to bury them in the lawn.

They leave our couple of dozen pots on the patios alone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Have a few NUT trees, so the squirrels have plenty to eat. However sometime I do find one sprouting up in the spring of those buried by them in a garden bed, a good yank is what I do. don't see them in the lawn area, but the mower will deal with that if there is. We have a ten acre woods behind us, for all I know they could bury them out there. In some spots the nuts get so dense if you walk a path wrong you could slip. The nuts seem to drop more alternating years. Besides squirrels, we have had more bunnies appear. Bunnies indeed met their down fall with my good hunting cats who are in heaven. Last night I did hear our Owl, so hope they are catching something.

Ask a Question