Spuds and Sweet potatoes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Why is it no one sells seed pastors for sweet potatoes? I've got a few left over from last season that are sprouting and I'd love to use those for this season crop, what am I missing?

Over got several store bought spuds sprouting too (reds and gold's, some blues), but I recall hearing your aren't supposed to use store bought potatoes,I just don't recall why. Since they are sprouting I feel like they should work fine.

DrMike27

Trust me...I’m a doctor.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have used store bought sweet potatoes and some grew fine. The big thing about regular potatoes (and I’m sure chuck is much better to verify) is that there is typically a growth inhibitor on them to prolong shelf life, which in turn, makes them a poor product to plant. I have found they take up too much real estate for me but if I were to plant them again, I would go to amazon or eBay to find my starting seeds.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Sometimes store bought wont spout due to inhibitors. They rot. I only need about 20 normal so I buy quality seed and plant them. I make slips from sweet potato from the store. I have never encountered inhibitors on sweet potatoes.
← 29 April 2019 Marijuana Transplanting
6 May 2019 Asparagus (2019 season) →
5 May 2019 Sweet Potato Slips
Posted on May 5, 2019 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/May%202019/5%20May%202019%20Sweet%20Potato%20Slips/HTML/ 5 May 2019 Sweet Potato Slips
Sweet potato slips were produced from a purchased supermarket tuber. The potato was placed in water,and light and allowed to grow for about a month. They were then placed in a growing pot and will allowed to grow for about a month. They will be about 4 inches high and then will be planted outdoors when it is warm about 24 May in my area, Zone 5. Even these small slips will grow without further pot growing. I expect 3 to 5 pounds from each plant depending much upon warm weather. Harvest is late Fall.
dsc_0112_std.jpg

————————————————————————–
25 May 2019 Sweet Potato Planted outdoors.
http://durgan.org/2019/May 2019/25 May 2019 Sweet Potato/HTML/ 25 May 2019 Sweet Potato
The four sweet potatoes growing in the greenhouse were planted in a rabbit protected outdoor garden. They will be harvested in late September. Expect about five pounds from each plant.
dsc_0456_std.jpg

Ask a Question