Spruce from Seed (see pic), when to transplant

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had about 20 or so White Spruce seeds I put in this 6" container about a month ago. I noticed today some germanization. I'm not sure if they are Spruce trees or not as this is my first time (assuming they are vs weeds). Is now a good time I pull them out 1 by 1 into their own small containers? thank you
IMG_0100.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
The photograph is not very clear, but the seedling in the foreground appears to be that of a conifer with many cotyledons (seed leaves). Perhaps the one in the background is as well, though white is an unusual color for the testa (seed coat) of a White Spruce (Picea glauca) but certainly possible.

In any case, I would wait until the seedlings are a little larger to transplant them, but not too long. When the first true leaves start to emerge would be a good time.

If you intend to transplant the seedlings into the ground while still small, you may want to plant them in tree tubes and try to maintain the taproot, but if you intend to grow them to larger size in a container, the taproot will either branch on its own, or else should be pruned to prevent circling.

Ask a Question