Sprinkler Winterization?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for advice/recommendations on having our in-ground automatic sprinkler system winterized. This is our first house with one and so we need to learn the drill. I have an estimate from the company who did it for the previous owners of our home but don't know how competitive it is. To do the whole blowout and leak check procedure it will cost about $175. If that sounds about right to people here then we can do that through the current company, Allen's Sprinkler, unless someone has another recommended company.
It seems that to do more than just turn the main valves off that it takes someone with more experience and skill than we have!

Thanks for any advice as we learn about the new home maintenance!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Some irrigation systems are built with manual or automatic drainage valves. Presumably yours does not if it did have to be professionally drained in the past. I can't speak about reasonable costs in your market, but I would compare the one-time cost of having a drainage valve installed, versus the yearly cost of having the system blown out or suctioned.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
There are so many rubber to metal seals and sliding parts. I wonder if the idea of lubrication ever comes to play. One real aspect of seal degradation is oxidation. This occurs here in the south fairly aggressively. One way to extend the life of the system parts might be silicone. It can be flushed through a system. Just a thought. I am the plumber around here and use a lot of plumbers silicone but there are more interesting forms like this one:
Screenshot_20211105-204525.png

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Hey, In my opinion, You can try SupMLC Lawn Sprinkler for your backyard or garden. While the SupMLC Lawn Sprinkler is a great product, it is perhaps too ahead of its time. With a 360-degree rotation and the ability to cover over 32 feet in distance, your backyard will quickly get plenty of water. If you’re looking for even more options, you’ll be happy to know this sprinkler comes with two different nozzles. You can switch over to a rotary sprinkler head depending on your watering needs. Read more about it.

Ask a Question