spring is here - grow herbs around the house

Reaction score
I just started out buying a few potted herbs from the market and also planting a few seeds to start my herb garden for the spring - summer.

What are you plans for the spring gardens - inside our outside?

IMG_8843.JPG

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Oh, I have lots of plans :D:

I have allready planted Cherry, Beef, Roma and Black Krim Tomatoes seeds, then I'll grow a Ukrainian variety of cukes from seed as well as scallions, peas, and red bell peppers and it's time to harvest garlic soon! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I'm paranoid about frost, so I'm going to be starting at least some of my herbs indoors! It always seems to snow here on Mother's Day - so any planting outside will have to wait until after that!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
I've got all my herbs started inside, about 4 weeks ago. I think there is going to be a coming out party in the next week or two as our temperature has started to be fairly moderate.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We have herbs outside all year around--rosemary, Italian oregano, flat leaf parsley. The more tender ones I either bring the potted herbs (thyme, basil, lemon grass, bay trees, etc.) into the barn for the winter, or take cuttings and root them for windowsill herbs during the winter.
Right now, everybody is outside! In fact, I overplanted basil and am trying to find homes for it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It is still a little too cold around where I live some days to start growing outdoor plants just yet, but very soon we should be in the clear. I would say around the beginning of April is the perfect time where I live. It is hard to believe that spring has finally come and soon the weather will be so much warmer and more beautiful all of the time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We can't plant anything outside yet, and we can't even work in the garden either. It is way too early for us to do that, but I have my eyes on few pots of herbs already that I will want to get and keep them by the windows for now. I don't have lot of footage for gardening, so most of what I grow will also be in pots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I grow herbs all year long:)
As for my plans, I really want to buy some miniature roses, Monstera Deliciosa and other gorgeous plants:D

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like using old cut out pop cans as starters for seeds. The small circumference of the can fits perfectly on my windowsill around my apartment. Then I transfer them to bigger pots once they are a significant size. It is great for herbs, tomatoes, strawberries, and flowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/8a
Country
United Kingdom
I haven't started growing herbs yet, and I probably should. I normally grow a selection, including rosemary and parsley on the window sills over summer, out of reach of the pets and plant them out later on. My rosemary border gets a bit longer every year, and it is coming along nicely!

I find plastic milk cartons make good starter pots, especially if you cut them in half and put the top half upside down in the bottom, so you get a pot and water holder in one. They are cheap as well.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
We still have some cold nights so I have not planted outside yet but I do plan to do container gardening mostly this year.

I will start with tomatoes and add on as I get more ideas.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Serbia
I already wrote about this I think but it is never enough. The only thing I have now is basil but I have plans to have rosemary, thyme, mint, lemon balm, sage and many more like dill and camomile. I have no idea actually if some herbs are good for my climate here but I will try. Coriander being one of those and oregano.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I was so happy that my pomegranite trees actually bounced back. I had them outside our apartment window for the Winter and neglected them:rolleyes:. They were only 6-8 inches tall and I scolded myself for not bringing them in. They were merely sticks by the time the wind and cold was done with them. I let them stay out and enjoy the rain and before I knew it, they were getting their leaves again! I also have Avacado trees (about a foot tall) and growing but need to transfer them to a larger pot. I plan to continue to grow the two kind of trees and maybe a few herbs.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I generally start them inside because we usually still have some snow by the end of March. This year was actually different and we didn't have a snow-heavy winter but it's still been cold though so we couldn't really plant anything outside. We should be able to transplant this weekend though and everything should be fine from here on out. We started an apple tree from the seed of an apple my husband ate and it's actually sprouting. We're very excited!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I tried some seeds but im still new to this so i must have done something wrong. So i went out and spent too much money on starter plants (the girlfriend doenst want me to spend any more money haha)

So far i have two different hybrid tomato plants, 2 different pepper plants, sweet basil, thai basil, pineapple sage, chocolate mint, rosemary, spinach, strawberries and leeks.

I live in a duplex and my back deck is pretty well covered from the sun so i have to move the plants out into the sun every morning. My next door neighbor has a puppy chained up so my greatest concern is coming home to puppy that has ravished all my hard work!
4-21-16.jpg

Ask a Question