Spots on my maple tree's leaves

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
I noticed these spots on the leaves of one of my favorite, young, maple trees look uniform in size. That has me alarmed that something is amiss in the health of my tree and that I should try and identify the issue and resolve it.
It's fall here in Michigan, USA so the leaves are dropping off now so not sure if this is an issue that will come back.

Sorry for the fuzzy photo. I took it with my phone's camera.

unnamed (33).jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I noticed these spots on the leaves of one of my favorite, young, maple trees look uniform in size. That has me alarmed that something is amiss in the health of my tree and that I should try and identify the issue and resolve it.
It's fall here in Michigan, USA so the leaves are dropping off now so not sure if this is an issue that will come back.

Sorry for the fuzzy photo. I took it with my phone's camera.

View attachment 9459
That looks like a fungus. All you can do at this point is to keep the leaves raked up as they fall and burn them. Google Maple Leaf Tar Spot and see if that is what it is

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Thank you. I'll be sure to burn the leaves and keep an eye on the tree. They have all dropped off now. Thankfully, I haven't seen it on the other trees.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hey Onatah, what the others have said is true. It's a fungus called Rhytisma acerinum and is mainly a cosmetic issue that occurs in late summer / early fall. While it is mainly cosmetic, having big black spots on the leaves cannot be good for photosynthesis. I live in Adrian Michigan which fancies itself the "Maple City". We have maples everywhere. I would say well over half have tar spots. You can drive around my town and easily see which maples suffer from it because they have lost more leaves than the trees that don't have it. It's so bad here that the city has marked off most of these trees as diseased and plan on chopping them down. I pulled some seedlings from the boulevard in April to grow and I had to throw them out last month because they even started showing tar spots. If you live in an isolated area with only a couple maples I suppose you could get it under control by cleaning up all the dead leaves. If you live in an area like I do where they are everywhere I'd say it would be next to impossible to get control of it. Good luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
We have many maples here on our property. We live on a semi-wooded piece of property (some pasture) surrounded by hundreds of acres of state owned forest. We cut several oaks down this year to help the maples thrive. We have plans to sell many of the smaller pine to a craftsman and some of the nicer large ones for logs... all for the love of the maple! Thankfully, this particular maple was a transplanted sapling about 15 years ago to an area where it is all alone. I'll fight for her. This tree has such phenomenal shape and beauty. I hope to get this under control quickly.

Not far behind our house where we have cut some of the trees and plan to build a gazebo next year for our own personal 'wooded park'. :)

woodedpark.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Lucky you. I live in town so I don't have all that wonderful space to work with. I was on my way to the post office this morning and stopped to get a couple pictures of the maples here as well as to confirm something. You can plainly see which maples have the fungus and which don't even from a distance. You can tell by the color of the leaves. The trees here that have no fungus have nice uniform yellow, orange, or red fall colors. The infected trees either already lost all of their leaves or they are blotchy. Some parts of the leaves have changed to fall colors while others are still green along with the ugly black spots. Also, the trees with the fungus have more dead wood than those without. No doubt that these black spots inhibit photosynthesis on the severely infected trees gradually weakening them. The only maples it doesn't seem to affect are Japanese Maples. Also, maples appear to the only trees susceptible to it. As I said before, Adrian is full of maples and nearly all are infected with this fungus.

With only one maple, you should be able to stop it. You are going to have to be diligent though. I'd be out every weekend raking up leaves. Even if there is snow and then a warm spell where it all melts...I'd be right back out there raking up whatever you might have missed.

Infected tree. See how it's blotchy...nothing is uniform about it. There is also a bunch of dead wood on this tree.

20151029_081725.jpg

2 city blocks away, a fungus free maple. Notice the leaves are all a uniform color.

20151029_081503.jpg

Below is what I found underneath the uninfected tree. Mixed in with the leaves there are leaves from an infected tree blown by the wind. It's only a matter of time before this tree succumbs as well. Nearly impossible to control in town.

20151029_082304.jpg

Ask a Question