Spiria Hedge

Reaction score
I've never been a big fan of boxwood or taxus or other common hedges, but over this summer I have developed a liking for spiria, and working in landscaping, I've managed to save a few that would've otherwise gone in the junk pile. Although they're not real big yet, I'm hoping they grow into a nice hedge along the road. Does anyone have any experience with or thoughts about using spiria in this manner? I know I've not seen it, but I like doing unusual things and experimenting.

Reaction score
I've never been a big fan of boxwood or taxus or other common hedges, but over this summer I have developed a liking for spiria, and working in landscaping, I've managed to save a few that would've otherwise gone in the junk pile. Although they're not real big yet, I'm hoping they grow into a nice hedge along the road. Does anyone have any experience with or thoughts about using spiria in this manner? I know I've not seen it, but I like doing unusual things and experimenting.

I have never used spirea for hedges. However, it is a lovely plant which grows well. My guess would be it would make a great hedge.

Reaction score
At least I finally got an answer. Lol. I have a feeling that starting my spirea hedge mostly from suckers that I get from work will take awhile for it to grow into a nice hedge, but as I said, I don't like the stuff that you normally see in hedge rows, and I do like spireas, so I think it will pay off eventually.

Reaction score
I love spirea. The beautiful little white bouquets of flowers on graceful, arching stems is such a lovely sight in the spring. My Mom was a big gardener and always had a spirea hedge across the back of the yard. She enjoyed sitting on the patio in the evening with her glass of ice tea and just look at the way the wind would move the branches. She said they were like a piece of moving art. She would root the brances by bending them down and burying them in the soil with a rock on top to hold it there. When they would root, she would pot them and when they were big enough shared her favorite shrub with anyone who wanted one.

Ask a Question