Spinach

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would love to plant spinach in my garden next spring/summer. This is my first time planting it and I don’t know anyone else who has done it in the past. I’ve grown lettuce but not spinach. I have several questions before I plant it.

Does anyone have any recommendations for what kind of spinach to grow?

Does it take a lot of room?

What months is best for growing/picking it and when does it typically die out?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Where do you live? Spinach is a cool weather crop. To grow enough spinach to preserve by canning or freezing it takes a lot of it as it cooks down to a small size, so yes it takes up a lot or room. Being a cool weather crop it can withstand light to medium frosts but when the weather turns hot it will rapidly bolt. I grow 2 kinds of spinach, Bloomsdale Longstanding and Noble Giant

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I grow komatsuna (Japanese spinach) year round. I grow it in my greenhouse in the winter.
It has more texture than regular occidental spinach, which makes it great for salads.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the recommendations. I will have to do some more research on the different types. I live in the North East.

You mentioned you are able to preserve spinach for the winter time. Do you freeze it? I am assuming after freezing it you would have to cook it as opposed to eat it raw.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for the recommendations. I will have to do some more research on the different types. I live in the North East.

You mentioned you are able to preserve spinach for the winter time. Do you freeze it? I am assuming after freezing it you would have to cook it as opposed to eat it raw.
What I do is blanch the spinach for 2 or 3 minutes and then put it in a freezer bag with a little of the water I used for blanching. All you have to do then is just warm it up before eating it. Living where you do the best time to plant the seeds is as soon as your soil reaches a temperature of about 50F. It will be ready for harvest in about 60 days from the time of planting

Reaction score
Country
United States
What I do is blanch the spinach for 2 or 3 minutes and then put it in a freezer bag with a little of the water I used for blanching. All you have to do then is just warm it up before eating it. Living where you do the best time to plant the seeds is as soon as your soil reaches a temperature of about 50F. It will be ready for harvest in about 60 days from the time of planting
Awesome thanks for this info. I'm looking forward to planting spinach next year and saving it through out the year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I would love to plant spinach in my garden next spring/summer. This is my first time planting it and I don’t know anyone else who has done it in the past. I’ve grown lettuce but not spinach. I have several questions before I plant it.

Does anyone have any recommendations for what kind of spinach to grow?

Does it take a lot of room?

What months is best for growing/picking it and when does it typically die out?
Spinach is one plant that tends to well year-round. I would recommend sticking to cooler months, however (Fall, winter, spring) as the summer may be a bit too warm. Spinach tends to do better in cool, moist soil and can withstand temps from 20-80 degrees. (Soil temps, that is). The type of spinach is solely up to you, and the plants do not take up much space at all.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can spinach be grown in a container during the winter months? I am in Mid-Atlantic area not as cold as some and not as mild as those farther south during the winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Can spinach be grown in a container during the winter months? I am in Mid-Atlantic area not as cold as some and not as mild as those farther south during the winter.
You just have to make sure the container is big enough for the plant to grow. Other than that, you can easily grow you plants in a container

Reaction score
In my case, I needed plenty of room for planting my spinach. I rowed it out and somewhat hoped for the best. It was relatively easy to grow. I was super surprised at how easy it was to grow and how quickly it came up. Time seemed to move faster with my spinach garden. :) The only thing you're going to need to worry about is the little critters.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Where do you live? Spinach is a cool weather crop. To grow enough spinach to preserve by canning or freezing it takes a lot of it as it cooks down to a small size, so yes it takes up a lot or room. Being a cool weather crop it can withstand light to medium frosts but when the weather turns hot it will rapidly bolt. I grow 2 kinds of spinach, Bloomsdale Longstanding and Noble Giant

Yes, from what I know spinach loves cool weather although it can also thrive in a tropical country like the Philippines provided you put temporary shades to deflect the direct rays of the sun. But the spinach in our backyard if the native spinach that does not resemble the real one, maybe it just got the name because they cannot think of a better one.

Ask a Question