Spinach, anyone?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I know it is November and I am beyond late up here in the PNW, but do any of you have any good ideas about growing Spinach through winter? i.e., If I germinate the seed under light, do you think it would transfer well and grow well?

I know I am not the only spinach-loving-late-gardener out there, what ideas and tips do you have for me?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I know it is November and I am beyond late up here in the PNW, but do any of you have any good ideas about growing Spinach through winter? i.e., If I germinate the seed under light, do you think it would transfer well and grow well?

I know I am not the only spinach-loving-late-gardener out there, what ideas and tips do you have for me?

I say go for it Mamasan!! (y) I don't grow edibles but I looked at a site I use for tips / advice and they have a nice section on growing spinach indoors. I think it will set you in the right direction.

http://www.gardenguides.com/105870-grow-spinach-under-lights.html

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Spinach in the PNW should do great in 7b. Once spinach is up and growing it is pretty cold hardy. In fact frosts make them better.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Spinach is a brassica and a cool weather crop.
There are many hardy varieties, and with some, the leaves bubble with a frost and this seriously improves flavour and texture.
It may grow very slowly, but it'll grow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We don't have spinach in our garden although there are in the market. What we have here is talinum, the native spinach that has soft leaves and stems. It can be used as substitute for the real spinach. Much more it can also serve as replacement for cabbage or string beans. Talinum is actually a versatile vegetable that can be used in any vegetable dishes particularly the local dishes here.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I did not know spinach could be grown inside. We eat a lot of spinach in our green drinks. I will take this information and start an indoor spinach pot. Thanks for the share.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You still have nice weather for growing! Here, I don't think spinach will do well even indoor. I love spinach in my pasta and salad but I didn't know we can start growing them indoors.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
We don't have spinach in our garden although there are in the market. What we have here is talinum, the native spinach that has soft leaves and stems. It can be used as substitute for the real spinach. Much more it can also serve as replacement for cabbage or string beans. Talinum is actually a versatile vegetable that can be used in any vegetable dishes particularly the local dishes here.
Thanks Corzhens. I just looked up Talinum and apparently we can get it here somewhere, under the names also of Philipine Spinach or Surnam Purslane. I'd like to try to grow it and it says it's easy to grow. Spinash is one of the vegetables I can grow, along with tomatoes and herbs. That's about the only real success I have had so I'd love to try Talinum. I'll have to start enquiring. I'll first find some in an Asian Grocers to give it as try but I'm sure I'll like it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
You still have nice weather for growing! Here, I don't think spinach will do well even indoor. I love spinach in my pasta and salad but I didn't know we can start growing them indoors.
I do know they will start under lights, so give that a try...I am just not sure the best way to get them beyond that stage, perhaps I will experiment with both.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Thanks Corzhens. I just looked up Talinum and apparently we can get it here somewhere, under the names also of Philipine Spinach or Surnam Purslane. I'd like to try to grow it and it says it's easy to grow. Spinash is one of the vegetables I can grow, along with tomatoes and herbs. That's about the only real success I have had so I'd love to try Talinum. I'll have to start enquiring. I'll first find some in an Asian Grocers to give it as try but I'm sure I'll like it.

Gee, I'm surprised with your resourcefulness and that made me proud. Okay, Philippine spinach is easy to grow. In fact, my husband would be pulling a brach or 2 from the prolific talinum in our backyard. He said it was getting thick and had been covering the grass. And since we do not eat spinach too often, the braches multiply fastet than what we can eat. There is also a talinum salad made with vinegar, sugar and salt.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States

I am currently growing spinach of my own outside. From research that I've done on my own, you can start inside and transplant but they tend to fare better when starting directly from the seedling outside if you are able. Spinach likes cool, moist soil but not soggy or wet.

Ask a Question