Spilled weed killer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

We were just clearing out the shed and realised a bottle of spray weed killer had split and spilt on the shed floor.

It is quite a small spill, about a foot square. The only thing is it had been there a while. Most had gone on some dust sheets which we will get rid of.
We have scrubbed with soap and covered in baking soda which we read online will absorb the rest.

thing is the shed is stained yellow. We plan to call the council tomorrow but the questions are - has anyone else had this? How bad is it? Is it still toxic if we air the shed?
We spend no time in there except my husband going into get a bike out.

many thanks (bit stressed)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Other thing to note it wasn’t proper liquid when we found so it’s likely evaporated. So I’m now terrified we’re going to die / the shed needs to be raised to the ground / everything needs to be got rid of.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Most weed killers have a limited life span, especially when exposed to air. I can't think of any herbicide that would be harmful to you given that the chemical has evaporated, that you can buy over the counter. I wouldn't worry about it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @Novice gardener1987, the first thing to do is stop panicking - that never solves anything at all. Can you tell us the name of the weedkiller? Listen to the advice from Uncle Chuck (above) and maybe leave the shed door open tonight to air it out a bit more.
I wouldn`t be worrying about this if it had spilt in my shed.
We used glyphosate weed killer recently (for a special job) and that neutralises more or less as soon as it dries.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @Novice gardener1987, the first thing to do is stop panicking - that never solves anything at all. Can you tell us the name of the weedkiller? Listen to the advice from Uncle Chuck (above) and maybe leave the shed door open tonight to air it out a bit more.
I wouldn`t be worrying about this if it had spilt in my shed.
We used glyphosate weed killer recently (for a special job) and that neutralises more or less as soon as it dries.

Thanks, it was Doff Ivy killer. A spray bottle. So it was glyphosate killer.

we barely used it so it would have been full, it was quite sticky when we found it but not wet.

Google is not my friend when it comes to this.
Thanks for your answers .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As an afterthought, this stuff is highly flammable, and so whatever you do - don`t set fire to your shed. Keep the shed aired. In a fire it can send up toxic fumes.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You can always look up the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for that particular product. That should tell you what to do for a spill.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks, it was Doff Ivy killer. A spray bottle. So it was glyphosate killer.

we barely used it so it would have been full, it was quite sticky when we found it but not wet.

Google is not my friend when it comes to this.
Thanks for your answers .
Water breaks down glysophate quickly. You could put a wet towel over the spot and keep it damp for a couple of weeks but not long enough to rot the floor.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

thank you so much for all of your help and answers. I scrubbed the floor with soap and water then put bicarb on to soak it up and swept it.

I may try the wet cloth trick just to be safe.
You have all saved me a lot of panic and worry so thank you.

Ask a Question