Spiders

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Are there spiders in your garden? Do you know that some species are venomous? Which species live in your garden? The venomous species include the black widow and the brown recluse.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thankfully where I live there are no venomous spiders! That being said, there seem to be a lot of the non-venomous ones around at the moment - it feels like there are cobwebs on everything at the moment!

Reaction score
Well, where I am living right now there are some dangerous ones, like the black widows, the brown recluse and of course tarantulas the size of the palm of a hand. They also happen to be super smart too and good for hiding as soon as they see you walk into a room! I can recognize most of those spiders if I see them ,but I've seen others too and am not even sure if they're the bad ones or not. I always end up getting rid of them, because I know what the bite of a venomous spider can do! People here have lost fingers!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We live in Spider Central--spiders of all sorts and sizes all over the place. I have learned to never, never reach into a space that you can't see, and look carefully when weeding or trimming plants by hand.
We do have a very beneficial spider, the argiope, or gardener's friend. Argiopes are great at snagging grasshoppers, wasps, and other bugs you don't want around.
Argiope 7.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Great photos!
We have brown recluses here but they are rare, since they can't survive a Michigan winter: they usually are trucked in but do not survive. Northern black widows too, but they are so shy it's very uncommon to encounter one. Sac spiders can give painful bites but not more serious than your average wasp sting; unpleasant but not really dangerous.

I have house spiders and lots of orb and garden weavers. I pretty much leave them all alone as long as they're outside. Anything that kills and eats flies and mosquitoes is welcome to stay here. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There are tons of different spiders around my dwelling, in the garden, under the roof of my porch, and house spiders. It seemed as if we have more spiders this year than any other year for some reasons. I leave the one in the garden alone, and I have to clean up my porch so we can see on the glider that we had set up.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
There are few spiders in my garden but I don't pay attention to them. I don't think they are dangerous as they just get along on their way without bothering us at all. I have seen dangerous ones back in the country, huge black hairy spiders.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Thankfully where I live there are no venomous spiders! That being said, there seem to be a lot of the non-venomous ones around at the moment - it feels like there are cobwebs on everything at the moment!
Oh I know! I'm in the UK as well, and there seems to be spiders all over the house and garden at the moment, and I don't like spiders! :p I clear away cobwebs and then next day they're back! Thankfully non are venomous :)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
There was a black widow in the garage last week one of the painters saw it and dispatched it the outdoors. I am careful to not put my hands into spaces I can not see in clearly. I met a lady that had been biten on her foot by a spider that caused her to have a reaction and being rushed to the hospital.

Reaction score
I think I killed a small brown recluse spider above my bed last week. Sadly over here the are so common! We also have tarantulas and black widows. My mom was brave enough to kill a huge tarantula that seemed to be looking for a way to sneak into her car. I admire her, if it was me odds are that tarantula would still be alive! Maybe inside the car D: I just can't kill big spiders... unless they are inside the house. Big spiders really irk me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have lots of spiders in my garden and I let them be unless the bite me them their gone, I've not seen a brown recluse in years,there might be a black widow in the garage but if she keeps to her self she can stay.

Ask a Question