Spiders in the garden

Reaction score
I know this is hard for some people to do, but let your spiders be! I know many people do not like spiders because they can look a bit creepy, some of them are a bit eew looking. But spiders eat bugs, not humans so your plants will thank you if you let the spiders be. I know some people try to rid the garden of them.

We have a lot of spiders - you have no idea!! Living on the river tho, we learn quick to appreciate them (yes believe it or not) because without them we would be eaten alive by mosquitoes. So my garden, my yard and even the outside of my house has a lot of spiders - fortunately they do not usually make it inside the house. If I dig to plant something new, you see some crawling away. The only problem really is that you have to watch for them when you are caring for your plants. A spider will only bite a human if it feels it's life is in danger. They don't crawl on you just to bite. Just a reminder because I know the thought of these crawlies bugs people and grosses them out!

I have to say tho, I don't get as many bugs in my garden as some do. The spiders keep the population down - and they are free bug control. Now if only they would eat the hornworm and slugs I would be great :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Spiders are totally creepy, think what they do to poor bugs:(
But I don't fight with them, I let them be because I'm against killing in general...I simply run away whenever I see one:p
Oh, I know how annoying mosquitoes are. I live on an island and mosquitoes have ruined a few of my picnics so far:(

Reaction score
Spiders are totally creepy, think what they do to poor bugs:(
But I don't fight with them, I let them be because I'm against killing in general...I simply run away whenever I see one:p
Oh, I know how annoying mosquitoes are. I live on an island and mosquitoes have ruined a few of my picnics so far:(

We live on along the river so mosquitoes and other bugs are something we all know well :( And spiders are something that are literally on everything here too so I got quite used to spiders. I can imagine on an island the mosquitoes can be out of control too!

My Mom gave me Pennyroyal last year and she was told that it help keep the mosquitoes out of your yard as they don't like it. It didn't come back this year tho and it was supposed to from what we understand.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Spiders are our friends, Claudine! A while ago we had what seemed like a ridiculous population of spiders around the house. Now it's snails that are everywhere and driving me nuts!

I also live along a river and the mosquitoes have been driving me indoors the last few evenings. As long as the spiders stay outdoors and don't try to bite me, they are welcome. They serve a purpose and they make good bird food :)

Reaction score
Generally spiders can be good for the garden, catching many other garden pests in their webs.
Take care though. I never thought the UK had any species of spider capable of biting a human.

Years ago, when I ran my own Tropical and coldwater fish store, selling also all pet foods medicines etc. I had a regular customer come in with a hand really badly swollen. On enquiry she said she had been bitten by a spider when gardening.

I wasn't convinced and suggested it may have been something else. A few days later another customer came in with his arm resting in a sling. Upon enquiry, again had been bitten by a spider while gardening.

So, they have a use in the garden, but be aware if your working close to one.

Reaction score
I have a Spiny Backed Orbweaver that has made a web on my aloe vera plant. Their bites are harmless to humans ,so he can stay there until we move house.
He looks like this stock photo.

250px-Spiny_backed_orbweaver_spider.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
ACSAPA, he looks like a monster!:eek: I've never seen a spider like this in real life and I hope that I never will, it would give me a heart attack.
Dconklin, maybe I should try to grow this Pennyroyal too, thank you for the tip.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Claudine is right, that thing looks scary!

I usually discourage web making on my plants. Having them starts out innocently enough, but can ultimately become problematic. There is plenty of space outdoors for them to find somewhere else to create webs. I don't mind the spiders visiting, but I don't want them moving in.

Reaction score
Spiders aren't that scary for me. I usually find one that made its way in my house, so I just get a tissue, wait for the spider to climb onto it and then carry it outside and set it on the grass. I don't kill any bugs or anything, because I'm generally against killing anything. I let nature take its course, and I honestly don't mind have bugs in the garden :)

Jed

Reaction score
Some spiders can be a problem in the garden depending on what type. A variety of the funnel-web spider is
very poisonous in south eastern Australia.:eek:
Spiders in your area are a part of the eco-system and should be respected.
I wear gloves either rubber or leather gloves while gardening to protect my hands from bites, scratches and splinters. I know a lot of gardeners who don't, even many women.:confused:
When I had wwoofers come and stay at my property I would issue each one with a new set of gloves and encouraged them to take them with them to the next farm stay. It was surprising to learn that not many farms or homestays would hand them out.
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Funnel-web-Spiders-group/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
:eek::eek::eek: Seriously, I would never get outside if I had funnel-web spiders in my garden. They look like creatures from the worst nightmare. Could they kill a man? Are they as dangerous as some snakes?

Jed

Reaction score
More people do get bitten by snakes and it's reported. A lot of us have no doubt had a bite from a spider without ill affect and don't even know thinking it's a bite from a mosquito. The funnel web is an aggressive spider found in some areas. Best wear gloves with any type of gardening even though at time we start doing something without them. Do go and get those gloves.:eek:

Reaction score
I noticed a few weeks ago while mowing my lawn that there was a large amount of spiders around. They looked like the normal wolf spiders that hang out in gardens in this area. I do not like spiders at all though. I do not mess with them if I do not see them. If they get into my house though, they don't live too much longer. If I saw one of the spiders like the one in the picture above, I would probably move to a different house!:eek:

Reaction score
250px-Spiny_backed_orbweaver_spider.jpg

Sigh...you see, this is where I would have to draw the line. In fact, I can't stand the huge "garden" spiders. They make human-sized webs, to catch bugs or humans? Once I get to know a certain type of spider and can be sure that they're not aggressive or poisonous, I guess I'm okay with them (as long as they're not large). If they get in the house or on me, they get sent to that beautiful web in the sky.

Jed

Reaction score
I guess most would hate walking through orb spider webs. Often I'm walking along and get caught up in them. They don't worry me to much at all except I get annoyed that I didn't use my arm to move them out of the way first and then get a face full of web.
images

Ask a Question