Spider Violet and a mystery.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This is quickly becoming one of my favorite flowers in my garden. It's only been in the ground for a few weeks and has grown really well.
climbing violetta.JPG

I also wanted to know if anyone knew what this was? It grows in clumps in my yard.
not sure.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
All those plants are beautiful:) I especially like the magnolia bloom. Magnolias in my area look a little different. Most of them are relatively small and they have pink, fragrant flowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks Claudine, I don't know what that purple flower is that grows in my yard. And the magnolia is off a huge tree in our side yard. I'd love to see a picture of your magnolias.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Oh and the largest magnolia bloom I've ever seen in my yard this morning. It was the size of a cantaloupe
View attachment 6456 .
I can see why the first one is becoming your favorite...quite unusual and interesting. Do you have the name of it please? The purple one is lovely too and the magnolia is fantastic. What a lovely lots of visuals for you to enjoy. I just saw your title and got the name...Spider Violet. Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The purple one is beautiful but a "weed". It grows throughout the yard in large clumps and I'm hoping someone can identify it.
Thank you Deborahjane. My magnolia tree usually just makes me mad with it's profusion of leaves falling but the blooms make it worth it. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I was just checking and I find there are so many types of magnolia. I have seen two of those in our area yellow and white. I have the white in my garden and it grows on a tree. Both have a very strong smell.

magnolia.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That is exactly what the purple one is! Thank you Owlboggy, it grows rampant in the yard and I've wanted to know what it was forever. And yes on the Cleome, that one I knew but wanted to share a picture of it since I think it's a gorgeous and unique flower.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'd be happy if it grew in my garden but it grows in my yard and I can't pull it up, the stalks just break off. Now that I know what it is, maybe I can find a way to move them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The OP show images of both a Spider-flower and a Spiderwort.

Spider-flower (Cleome hassleriana or C. houtteana), in the Spider-flower Family (Cleomaceae), native to eastern Brazil, northern Argentina, Paraguay, and Uruguay. This dramatic beauty is perennial in tropical climes, but is often grown as a summer annual in temperate regions.

Spiderwort (Tradescantia virginiensis and related species), in the Dayflower Family (Commelinaceae). Virginia Spiderwort (Tradescantia virginiensis) is native to the eastern and central U.S., and Ontario. Other species of Tradescantia occur throughout much of North America, Central America, South America, and the Caribbean.

Ask a Question