Spider Plant Leaves Folding

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently potted a spider plant (a coworker dug it up and gave it to me) and I noticed today that some of the leaves are folding.

I have it in a window that gets some mostly indirect sun, but gets more direct sun for a few hours in the evening. I have it in a pretty small pot, which possibly is causing the folding, but I have a much bigger pot that I'm going to put it in when I get a drainage hole drilled in it (hopefully tomorrow).

I read a few things that said spider plants don't like a lot of water, so I wasn't giving it a whole lot, but then I started reading conflicting information saying that they do like a lot of water, so I got the soil pretty wet to see if it helps. I'm using tap water that's been mixed with Miracle Gro All Purpose Plant Food, if that makes any difference.

I'm mostly wondering why the leaves are folding, but I'm also wondering what the actual care needs of this plant are. There's just a lot of conflicting information and I'm pretty lost.

Reaction score
Country
Egypt
I recently potted a spider plant (a coworker dug it up and gave it to me) and I noticed today that some of the leaves are folding.

I have it in a window that gets some mostly indirect sun, but gets more direct sun for a few hours in the evening. I have it in a pretty small pot, which possibly is causing the folding, but I have a much bigger pot that I'm going to put it in when I get a drainage hole drilled in it (hopefully tomorrow).

I read a few things that said spider plants don't like a lot of water, so I wasn't giving it a whole lot, but then I started reading conflicting information saying that they do like a lot of water, so I got the soil pretty wet to see if it helps. I'm using tap water that's been mixed with Miracle Gro All Purpose Plant Food, if that makes any difference.

I'm mostly wondering why the leaves are folding, but I'm also wondering what the actual care needs of this plant are. There's just a lot of conflicting information and I'm pretty lost.
They're pretty resilient and almost come back from the dead so it'll come back to you once you get it right.

I think the direct sun for a few hours is quiet a lot for it to handle. It prefers bright indirect sunlight. As for the watering, water thoroughly when the top 2 inches of the soil is dry and it should be fine. I think you should post a photo so that someone could help explaining the folding. Good luck ^_^

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's mostly the leaves at the very front that are folding.

Attachments

• 20200712_143157.jpg
    20200712_143157.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 385
Reaction score
Country
India
Hi Miette, did you finish repotting the plant? Did the roots look healthy, sturdy and white?
I have lost 2 spider plants and I do not have much knowledge about the plant's care - but I'd like to share the mistake I made - overwatering.
My plant was bigger than the one you showed (but in a 4 inch diameter pot) , and I used to water it every 3-4 days (used the sticking my knuckle in to see if the soil is dry method, and where I stay has a hot and dry climate).
Root rot had set in heavily by the time I realised something was wrong (initial symptoms were one or two leaves yellowing, then slowly one or 2 leaves started becoming limp..then suddenly the whole plant looked limp one day - that's when I dug up and saw the whole root was black and soft, even the base of the stem was rotten).
So, at least in my experience - the plant didn't prefer frequent watering.
Hoping that the folding is nothing worrisome and your plant comes back to normal pretty soon :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This should be one of the easiest plants to keep. All of mine have been the more common variegated variety. Your plant is curling its leaves to let you know it is getting too hot. Move it away from direct sunshine at all times. It needs some light but not direct sunshine.
Spider plants are relatively drought hardy.

Ask a Question