Spider Mites

Reaction score
I can't control them. They've taking over my tomatoes, sugar snap peas and eggplants and I just can't get rid of them!!!

The ones in my backyard are red spider mites and my plants are in containers.

I've tried: Neem oil, Diatomaceous Earth, watering them away, cutting the most infected leaves and nothing works!!!

Is there anything else (organic) more effective I can try?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Spider mites can be controlled with Spinosad and believe it or not dishwashing soap. Mites have a fast reproducing time. When you have an infestation like you do you must spray at least every 4 days and on BOTH sides of the leaves and the ground under the plant. It's difficult but can be done. The best way to not get the mites or at least reduce them greatly is to spray the plants from the time you set them out with liquid seaweed every week.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I agree with Chuck, using dishwashing soap is a really great idea. Last year, I had had a problem with spider mites too, they had been attacking my miniature roses. I washed all leaves with soap and it really helped.
I heard that black tea works too.

Reaction score
Insecticidal soap will do the trick. You can even make your own with a bit of dish soap in water. I have had better luck with the insecticidal soap that I bought than with the stuff I made. It does work well but you really need to take care to spray the whole plant. It leaves a sticky film so it is a good idea to take the plant outside to spray it or the area around the plant will be a challenge to clean.

Reaction score
The insecticidal soap really does the job and it seems to last longer than anything that I concocted. Spider mites are pesky little critters and once you get them they can be a pain to get rid of.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The insecticidal soap really does the job and it seems to last longer than anything that I concocted. Spider mites are pesky little critters and once you get them they can be a pain to get rid of.
Being the cheapskate that I am I have found that Pamalive Red DW Soap mixed 3 oz per gallon works better than Safers Soap or any of the other insecticidal commercial soaps. I am even wondering if I should wash my dishes with this stuff. It even kills grasshoppers if sprayed directly on them

Reaction score
I did a wonderful mix of neem oil and dish soap. It was a lot of work but I hope this does the trick. I will spray every 3 to 4 days.
Thanks for the tips

Reaction score
I also have had success with neem oil and dish soap -- I hope it works for you! Be sure to take care in spraying all sides of the plant, including the under sides of leaves, to make sure the plant is fully saturated with the spider mite killing concoction.

Good luck!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
In my opinion washing the under sides of leaves is the most important. This is where spider mites hide:confused: You can find their eggs there, too. At least this was their favorite place when they were trying to eat my miniature roses:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The problem with spider mites is that their reproductive cycle is fast and they don't all reproduce at the same time. One batch of eggs hatches today and anther tomorrow and on and on. The secret isn't to kill the mites but to kill the eggs and the best thing I have found to kill the eggs is Neem Oil. It will basically smother the eggs and at the same time kill the mites. Always spray very early in the morning or late in the afternoon about every 3 or 4 days until the cycle is broken and then use spinosad. I don't really like to use Neem Oil unless all else fails

Ask a Question