Spider mites!!!!

Rey

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I noticed when I was checking the leaves on my indoor strawberries and saw some white powdery things moving. I noticed a a spider web and I was looking for a mother spider and could not find it. So I was thinking, how could I miss a mother spider? I grab my camera and took some pic to see what it is. Lucky I have some neem oil left.. :mad::mad::mad:

DSC05366.jpg
DSC05372.jpg

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
A shame to hear you've got spider mites (what a pain they are!), but wow, those are great pictures!

Rey

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
A shame to hear you've got spider mites (what a pain they are!), but wow, those are great pictures!
Thanks!. I was surprise they just pop up so quick, after I spray with neem oil I no longer see them. So I will observe in a week if they comback.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks!. I was surprise they just pop up so quick, after I spray with neem oil I no longer see them. So I will observe in a week if they comback.
DON'T wait a week! After spraying check in 3 days.

Rey

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
DON'T wait a week! After spraying check in 3 days.
Oh, I am checking it daily now ^_^. What is the most effective way to eliminate them? This is my first spider mite encounter..

Rey

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
More pests, aphids, I notice some black spots on my strawberry stalks, sure enough it was aphids, it also reached my pineberry runners..I am scared to introduce new plants inside now :(

DSC05377.jpg
DSC05379.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
More pests, aphids, I notice some black spots on my strawberry stalks, sure enough it was aphids, it also reached my pineberry runners..I am scared to introduce new plants inside now :(

View attachment 25479 View attachment 25480
Different insects have different reproductive rates. To eliminate any insect pest you must first know who you are fighting and understand its reproductive cycle.
A vegetable gardener only needs 3 products to eliminate any insect pest. Neem Oil, Spinosad and Bt. Each of these three products has its own specific use in the garden. Neem is used to suffocate the eggs, plus it acts as an insect killer. Spinosad is mainly an insects killer, by contact and residual means and Bt is only used to kill caterpillars.
You can easily research the reproductive cycles of any insect garden pest on the internet.

Rey

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Thanks Chuck.. For now no caterpillar but I keep an eye on it. I order more neem from amazon and it has 30% other ingredients which worry me, but since those companies are not disclosing those ingrdients, I read that they are allowed as long as it is approved by government.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks Chuck.. For now no caterpillar but I keep an eye on it. I order more neem from amazon and it has 30% other ingredients which worry me, but since those companies are not disclosing those ingrdients, I read that they are allowed as long as it is approved by government.
Neem oil, if OMRI rated, is an organic and safe product. Anyway all I was saying is that these 3 products are all you will ever need. There are multitudes of home remedies for just about anything but they do not perform near as well as these. You can use horticultural oil for scale insects and for insect eggs instead of neem and it works ok. Neem also kills insects by contact and by some residual effects. Neem also acts as a fungicide. But for an all around insect control a spinosad based product is much better than Neem. Spinosad doesn't do much against insect eggs but it is a much better insect killer and has a much better residual effect than Neem. You really need both on hand just in case.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Spider mites hate water. Give it a proper soaking (careful not to drown the plant tho) and then some neem oil.

Rey

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Spider mites hate water. Give it a proper soaking (careful not to drown the plant tho) and then some neem oil.
Yeah after two weeks I see a little more coming back. I cant soak it since it is indoors and sprying neem oil also goes to unintended plants. So What I did was wet a papertowel and soak each leaves this way while removing some mites. Then I do the same with neem oil mixture. This seems to work well and does not burn leaves. Spraying it burns some of the leaves because I did not see that some leaves when curling it holds neem oil to much..

Ask a Question