Special Herb Project

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I'm very excited to be curating a small herb garden for a local restaurant. I have major plans that will take from now until spring to develop, including building vertical planters, but I've never grown herbs in volume and I've never kept notes on their growth to know how many plants I needed, how long until I could harvest, and how rapidly the plants grew back.

In the beginning I will be concentrating on the low growing herbs that spread such as oregano and mint. Phase two will be for the taller, bushier varieties such as basil and rosemary. I know with herbs like rosemary where you don't use as much at one time I won't need as many plants, and once the plants are established some will be easy to multiply via cuttings.

Have any of you kept track of how much you've planted of a particular herb and how fast it grew?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm very excited to be curating a small herb garden for a local restaurant. I have major plans that will take from now until spring to develop, including building vertical planters, but I've never grown herbs in volume and I've never kept notes on their growth to know how many plants I needed, how long until I could harvest, and how rapidly the plants grew back.

In the beginning I will be concentrating on the low growing herbs that spread such as oregano and mint. Phase two will be for the taller, bushier varieties such as basil and rosemary. I know with herbs like rosemary where you don't use as much at one time I won't need as many plants, and once the plants are established some will be easy to multiply via cuttings.

Have any of you kept track of how much you've planted of a particular herb and how fast it grew?
My wifes favorite herb is basil. She cuts it back severely about once a month and cuts sprigs from it whenever, I guess it all depends on which herb it is and how many you will need. Mint shouldn't be any problem at all. I grow most of the herbs that I use in 5 gallon buckets. Keep them watered with compost tea and they will more than likely outgrow your use. Most of the herbs you will grow, like basil, thyme, oregano, dill, parsley will rarely get over 3 feet tall so you won't need vertical IMO. On all of the plants that I have mentioned only dill and parsley are really cold hardy and parsley doesn't like a hard freeze. The rate of growth is determined by nutrients and sunlight. The more of each the faster the growth. I don't know exactly what you are trying to do but if it were me and I wanted to grow herbs semi-commercially I would get a bunch of 2 or 3 gallon containers and grow them in those.

Reaction score
I have not kept track, but I do have some experience with rosemary. We had a rosemary plant that came with the place that had been planted in a very poor location, way to close to the house and it was not doing well at all. We took several cuts from it and put them in a pot. All but one cut took root and started growing withing a pretty short amount of time. Sadly, our crazy cold winter last year did it in as we did not bring it indoors, totally forgot, and it froze. I plan to get more cuts from a friend next year and start over though. Had it survived, we probably would have had a pretty good sized few little bushes by now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Most of the herbs you will grow, like basil, thyme, oregano, dill, parsley will rarely get over 3 feet tall so you won't need vertical IMO... I would get a bunch of 2 or 3 gallon containers and grow them in those.

The point of growing vertical is be able to have more plants in a small space. Think of a strawberry pot three times taller. You could grow a heck of a lot more strawberries, especially if you trimmed away the runners and rooted them away from the mother plants. (It can be done.)

Two gallons is more than enough I think for the low growers. I am actually thinking of using containers on a ladder style planter to be able to get the most yield as the full area doesn't receive a lot of direct sunlight. (Working on that though.)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have not kept track, but I do have some experience with rosemary... I plan to get more cuts from a friend next year and start over though. Had it survived, we probably would have had a pretty good sized few little bushes by now.

Rosemary is a funny thing. It gets really hot here so I have to water it more than what is usual for the plant. One moment it can be lush and green and the next you're cutting away a third that's dead from the heat/lack of water. The thing about rosemary though, is that you don't need much. I just some some great plants that are fairly large and have been pruned to look like mini Christmas trees. I may try and get two of those as there are already two medium small plants in the plot already.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The point of growing vertical is be able to have more plants in a small space. Think of a strawberry pot three times taller. You could grow a heck of a lot more strawberries, especially if you trimmed away the runners and rooted them away from the mother plants. (It can be done.)

Two gallons is more than enough I think for the low growers. I am actually thinking of using containers on a ladder style planter to be able to get the most yield as the full area doesn't receive a lot of direct sunlight. (Working on that though.)
Be careful with a ladder arrangement. I had a friend whose cat somehow dislodged a gallon container and it broke the cats leg. Didn't do his plant much good either

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Be careful with a ladder arrangement. I had a friend whose cat somehow dislodged a gallon container and it broke the cats leg. Didn't do his plant much good either

Well, this is a closed in garden with a very tall fence in a neighborhood where you don't really see strays wandering about. I can't imagine something so far fetched occurring, especially since I am building a small hoop hose to contain the first phase plants as it is getting close to winter.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow, how exciting for you! Sounds like a great opportunity :). I have not grown much yet, so no I have not kept track, but I do tend to like to keep tidy records of things, and when I do grow more I'm sure that I will make efforts to keep consistent records about them. Good luck with all that :).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thanks, @JessiFox! I spent a lot of time on clearing yesterday. It's not really the time for pruning, but the Meyer lemon was out of control, and there was holly growing over the fence infringing on the lemon and hanging over an area where it blocked sun. I hope to start buying plants this week.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
This all sounds like lots of fun for you I wish you great success and hope you will have photos to share soon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Your hoophouse will also prove very useful in summer, as you can shade it to protect plants which don't like too much direct heat.

I hadn't even thought of that. One of the chefs asked about lettuce; I might be able to extend the growing season that way by using shade cloth. My "supervisor" doesn't want the hoophouse. He feels a real greenhouse that is permanent and more sturdy is a better idea. I've decided it should be a mesh grow-house that we cover in winter so that the plants are protected from moths,etc.

I'm going to have to excavate the top couple inches of soil in the raised beds because of grubs, and I am still trying to create more sun. I was there late afternoon earlier this week and saw some possibilities in thinning the holly from next door that hangs over the fence and grows into the Meyer lemon.

Lots of work still, but I've started putting in herbs in pots. I hope to start work on the mesh greenhouse within a week or so.

@Pat , there will definitely be photos!

Reaction score
I never have, but I think it's great that your conducting a herb business right out of your own garden. Congratulations. I hope it all grows out very nicely. Let us know what your growing sometime.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I never have, but I think it's great that your conducting a herb business right out of your own garden. Congratulations. I hope it all grows out very nicely. Let us know what your growing sometime.

I'm not conducting a business out of my garden; I'm curating a garden at a business. So far I've brought in thyme, sage and rosemary and I am about to add arugula. These are plants chosen from a list given to me by the chef/owner. Because it's late fall, I started with herbs that were cold hardy.

Reaction score
That's even better. Congratulations just the same. I can tell that you are passionate about it. I'll be looking for your book some day.

Ask a Question