Souther NV Grass lawn

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello, I live in Souther NV. We are wanting to have two grass areas. One in the front yard and in the back yard. I have a couple questions Im hoping you all can help.

-How do I make it so that the grass does not grow past a certain point.
-What is the best foundation I can give the grass seed to grow well. We have lots of manure available to us to use.
-How often do you water seeds/seedlings and what time of the day. Any info on this will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you Sincerely,
Jill

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Welcome!

-How do I make it so that the grass does not grow past a certain point.

The type of grass chosen as well as growth regulators are common means of achieving lower maintainance levels.

-What is the best foundation I can give the grass seed to grow well.
We have lots of manure available to us to use.

Manure, when composted to remove pathogens and weed seeds, is a superior soil amendment. To use the manure uncomposted, perhaps applying it in the fall and planting in the spring is the best idea. Manure in a pasture will kill grass until it ages some months, at which time grass then grows like crazy. Manure has a short life in soil, so when building a yard, consider adding products like Turface, which is a heated clay product. Biochar has a similiar effect. This is all dependant on what type of soil you have, so get a soil test first. This Logan Labs link can help.

-How often do you water seeds/seedlings and what time of the day.

You will probably water 1\4" daily until the grass gets started, and then move to a deeper watering of up to 1" weekly. It really depends on your weather so you need a rain gauge, cat food can or tuna or chicken type can that is 1 inch deep so you can track it. The cans are useful when watering until you learn how long you need to leave the sprinklers on to water properly.

Last edited:

Ask a Question