Something has invaded my mint! What is it?!

Reaction score
Country
United Arab Emirates
20220709_102820.jpg
20220709_102820.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Some kind of weed. Pull it out. Your mint is in need of feeding too. See how the leaves are turning yellow and the leaf veins are still staying green. A symptom of nutrient deficiency.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Do you have difficulty keeping your mint contained?

I love mint and use a lot of it but I'm scared to plant it in the ground in case it takes over. I've always grown it in pots but no matter how big the pot it seems to always outgrow them part way through the season and get woody.

I'm thinking of finding a spot where there's lawn all around so that I can just use the mower to keep it in check....would that work or would it spread through the lawn and into other beds?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had that same idea, and planted mint on the edge of a border. It didn't just get into the grass, it overtook the entire bed. Digging it out was a huge job, and I had to get Mr Muscle to help. I think a pot placed on concrete is the best place. Continuous cutting will help keep the new shoots tender for the season. Mint will freeze well, or you could make mint sauce. I usually just chop herbs and stick them in a freezer bag. They seem fine like that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States

I love mint and use a lot of it but I'm scared to plant it in the ground in case it takes over. I've always grown it in pots but no matter how big the pot it seems to always outgrow them part way through the season and get woody.

I'm thinking of finding a spot where there's lawn all around so that I can just use the mower to keep it in check....would that work or would it spread through the lawn and into other beds?
You can bury a cut in half 5 gallon bucket and leave it about 2 inches above the ground and plant your mint inside it. Make sure the bucket is about 6 inches under ground to stop the mint from going under the bucket to escape.

You can use anything like a bucket but that's just what I use.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States

Depending on where you are located, mint may or may not go rampant. Grew many forms of mint close to the beach a few years back, and it never went rampant - perhaps due to the higher concentration of salt in the air.

Ask a Question