Someone's eating my raspberries

Reaction score
Country
Canada
image.jpg

My raspberry bush is starting to make large clusters finally! But someone has been into them before me. Do you have any tips on how to keep animals out of my raspberries? We are a bit low in cash lately, so I would prefer a cheap solution.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
There are 3 animals that eat my strawberries other than the Blue jays there harry the chip monk some dumb squirrels and a chihuahua named Fern who all so goes after my chili peppers. I gave up on fighting with for the strawberries so I planted more now there enough for every body.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I know squirrels ate my mom's raspberries too! They are quite talented with how they can manage hanging themselves all over to get to them. At the beginning of summer, she has lots of raspberries, by the time they were ripe we only have a handful, and the rest went to the creatures.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I'm sorry about your raspberries. And I'm also sorry that I cannot suggest anything because what we use here are the leaves of the Kakwati tree. It is a small tree with thin branches and leaves like bay leaf. We get the leaves and wrap the main stem with the leaves. The unpleasant odor of the leaves drives away the pests. It is actually an antidote to the bedbugs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
crows are usually the culprit in my raspberry patch. i put up flashy mylar strips on twine. they hate that! if not i take out the pellet gun and bury the bodies in the compost pile. ;)

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
You could try it get a mesh cage over it if there is enough space. i have no idea how well it would hold up against mice though. This would be just for birds, dogs, squirrels or so. All you would need is to put four poles around the plant then mesh it around.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
if its rodents or squirrels they chew thru the netting. try some rat traps w/ a dab of peanut butter! will rid you of squirrels too! if its bigger birds you need to keep the netting at least a foot away from the berries. those buggers have long beaks!. the mice and squirrels like my mushroom mycelium too!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
could use the haveaheart live trap too if you don't want to kill them. release in the woods many miles away. i had a family of skunks i relocated last summer that way. they were eating the grubs in my lawn and making holes everywhere!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm not sure about mice or rats but for birds you might want to try plastic snakes. Sounds funny I know but my grand father actually does this to keep them away from his driveway. I can't see it not working with a garden or whatnot. It might work with the mice and other small animals, it's worth a try I suppose. I'm attaching a link that gives you a bit of information on it.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2314093_scare-birds-fake-snakes.html

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
thats a good idea! i tried a owl decoy but they got used to it. pieces of flashy mylar works good too but like the owl they get used to it. maybe try putting just one out for a few weeks then try another so they don't get accustomed to just one. traps are the way to go for mice and rats.

Ask a Question