Some pictures of my garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
It has been raining for weeks in Texas. The ground is saturated with water, and plants aren't very happy, but they're surviving for now! :)

I'm starting to see the results of all those months working and it makes me happy.

These are Patisson Golden Marbre Scallops. I found out they can be summer and winter squash, so I'm very excited. I've never tried them before, but I've never had a squash I didn't like, so I'm pretty sure I'll like them.
010 (2).JPG
011.JPG
012.JPG

Tatume squash. It can also be summer and winter squash, and I know it does very well in my climate. This morning the bees were very busy with all its flowers :)
004.JPG
005.JPG
014.JPG

Black Krim tomatoes, some with water and worm damage.
012.JPG
009.JPG

Pineapple tomatoes.
003.JPG

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Looking good RR (y)

Can start thinking about squashes over here now the frost has passed :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Looking good RR (y)

Can start thinking about squashes over here now the frost has passed :)

NOW that the frost has passed? It's practically summer here! I can't believe you're just getting to being able to plant out squash. The snails have finally let mine be (word must have gotten out that I've been assassinating them), and I have a couple flowers on the yellow crookneck.

Would love to grown more, but more food plants means a lot more work and pest control. Maybe I can expand a bit more in the fall.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
NOW that the frost has passed? It's practically summer here! I can't believe you're just getting to being able to plant out squash. The snails have finally let mine be (word must have gotten out that I've been assassinating them), and I have a couple flowers on the yellow crookneck.

Would love to grown more, but more food plants means a lot more work and pest control. Maybe I can expand a bit more in the fall.

Still getting very cold winds, must be whipping down from the arctic :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Still getting very cold winds, must be whipping down from the arctic :rolleyes:

Wow! I left early today for my gardening gig so I could beat the heat and escape the rain. I even took a can of mosquito spray (which I almost never use) with me because I wore a pair of old white shorts in order to be comfortable.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Certainly not doing me or the plants any favours at the moment :(

Reaction score
Very beautiful! Thanks for sharing, your squashes look so beautiful! Did you know that where I come from we eat the flowers as well? We make all sorts of things with them :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Tonight we are getting another frost warning - we're expecting 34f or 1c - central heating is still needed.

But we are also very dry, so I'm turning the main sprinkler system back on.

Your plants look wonderul, I'll show you mine in about 2 or 3 months when I catch up to you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Very beautiful! Thanks for sharing, your squashes look so beautiful! Did you know that where I come from we eat the flowers as well? We make all sorts of things with them :)
Thank you, Trellum! I've never eaten a squash flower but I want to try it. My problem is that I fear that if I pick flowers, the females won't get pollinated. How many do you pick out of a plant? Any recipes you'd like to share?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Tonight we are getting another frost warning - we're expecting 34f or 1c - central heating is still needed.

But we are also very dry, so I'm turning the main sprinkler system back on.

Your plants look wonderul, I'll show you mine in about 2 or 3 months when I catch up to you!
When you show me yours in about two or three months, I'll be jealous because it'll be too hot here and my plants won't be doing too good :)

Reaction score
Thank you, Trellum! I've never eaten a squash flower but I want to try it. My problem is that I fear that if I pick flowers, the females won't get pollinated. How many do you pick out of a plant? Any recipes you'd like to share?

One easy thing you can do with the flowers is make quesadillas ;) We make quesadillas with corn tortillas, you can also use flour tortillas. We just like to toss some onion and garlic, cook it in a bit butter and then add the flowers. Then add the cheese to the tortilla, add this mix cover it . Just cook the quesadilla both sides as usual. It's a nice way to spide up a normal quesadilla ;) Check this site too: http://www.thekitchn.com/five-ways-to-eat-squash-blosso-87564

Ask a Question