Some Petunia Assistance Would be fantastic please. Go Easy on me- It's my first time...........!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning.
This will make some of you shake your head with despair. It will really expose me as an amature, but here goes.. enjoy a laugh at my expense.....

I have 4 empty hanging baskets at size 14" ready and I intend to have them overflowing ASAP with petunias - purely because I have googled the type of flower I like and these are exactly what I want. so, I am looking for some tips.
so far- I have 300 seeds on the way from EBAY (china) these should arrive 6th May??? dubious.. I have a greenhouse and loads of pots.

I need to know a few basics...
Am I timing the seeding ok? or shall I save them for next year and buy established plants from the shop this time round?

If I am in time to go down the seeding route, here are my questions....
What soil type is best?
Is there a good food supplement to add?
How often to water?
How many seeds per container will I need to plant?
when do I transfer to the baskets?

If I have left it too late, here are my questions....
how many established plants should I buy PER 14" hanging basket.?
How often to water?
When to water?
What can I do to protect from bugs that eat them?

Any other words of wisdom?
apart from sweet pea- Are there any other types of perenials that grow nicely to complement petunias?

Steve

Thanks in anticipation of ANY advice.

Steve

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Steve and welcome to the forum.
It's a bit late to start petunias from seed. I'd try and get some plants.

I'd put in about 5 plants in the basket, you could use a slow release fertiliser that you put in the compost when planting or like a liquid feed for tomatoes

Watering: check the compost to see if its dry then water them until the water runs out of the bottom. In hot weather you'll have to water them twice a day and let the water come out the bottom remember to take off the old flowers.

You could plant with 1 hanging fuchsias or 1 trailing geraniums, if so only put 3 or 4 petunias in.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you Logan.
Now I just need to source some! hectic times finding anything right now for obvious reasons.
Steve

Ask a Question