Some of my tangerine tree leaves turning yellow?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9A and 9B
Country
United States
Hello, I planted two tangerine trees in a section of my yard that gets plenty of sun (I live in Central Florida) last year. A few months ago, I noticed the a lot of the leaves were beginning to turn yellow. When I planted the trees, I added two cubic feet of citrus soil mixed in with the soil it came with in the pot. I water it once a day during the hot time of year and a couple times a week during the cooler times. I gave them a few cups of fertilizer few weeks ago which has allowed them to shoot out a bunch of new growth, but many leaves still remain yellow.

I read it's from over watering and or not fertilizing enough? Which is it?

Attachments

• DF06327D-AAAC-4FED-844F-8BA623BC61D8.jpeg
    DF06327D-AAAC-4FED-844F-8BA623BC61D8.jpeg
    199.7 KB · Views: 49
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Both. I wouldn't say overwatering and I wouldn't say underwatering. From the picture it is impossible to tell but partially it is a watering issue. It is also a nutrition issue. What needs to be done is to repot into a larger container or preferably into the ground and to feed the plant properly. And by properly I say use a good well balanced organic fertilizer every 3-4 months if a granular. If you choose a liquid about every 2 week for about 4 months and granular afterwards about once every 2 months.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9A and 9B
Country
United States
I have Jobe’s Citrus Fertilizer, it’s a good brand from what I read online. Should I fertilize the tangerines one a month for this year to make up for the months last year where it didn’t get very much? Or just do it every 3-4 months?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have Jobe’s Citrus Fertilizer, it’s a good brand from what I read online. Should I fertilize the tangerines one a month for this year to make up for the months last year where it didn’t get very much? Or just do it every 3-4 months?
Jobes Citrus is a good fertilizer. It is a fast acting fertilizer for an organic fertilizer and must be used accordingly. I would use the jobes at the recommended rate but once every 2 months. Plus I would use a good liquid such as HastaGro every 2 weeks. But the most important thing is to get the plant out of that little container. I would also use Chelated Iron as a supplement about every 2 months also.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9A and 9B
Country
United States
The tangerine trees are in the ground, sorry the camera angle makes it look like it’s in a pot. Thanks for the advice!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The tangerine trees are in the ground, sorry the camera angle makes it look like it’s in a pot. Thanks for the advice!
If so, then cover the surrounding soil with compost and mulch and keep the above advise. Remove ALL of the weeds or whatever that green is. What did you do, remove the bottom of the container?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9A and 9B
Country
United States
The trees came in a big plastic pot, I cut the put straight down without cutting any roots and pulled it out. I then dug a hole deep enough for the trees and made sure it’s level with the ground so the stem isn’t buried.

Ask a Question