Some of my labor saving tips

Reaction score
I like to tie my tomatoes onto stakes, so that I can harvest them without bending over. I also have a small plastic stool, so that I can sit down while I pick the peas, the bush beans, and the lowest tomatoes. This way I can spare my middle-aged joints while I work. The ground seems a lot farther away than it did when I was in my twenties!

I have ALSO learned that it is very easy to shell the peas if they have been boiled for a minute or two first! I just take the peas, pods and all, and I dump them into a large pot of boiling water. After one to two minutes, I fish them out and I dump them into cold water to stop them from cooking any longer. After the peas are cooler, I can squeeze the pea pod like a tube of toothpaste, and the peas will shoot out the end! This is MUCH easier than trying to shell the peas without boiling them first!

Do you folks also have things that you do, to reduce the wear and tear on your bodies?

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I don't have any tips to harvest or tend to gardens. I am hoping to learn from everyone like you!

Great advice for shelling the peas. That is something I will need to do when my pea plant matures. I was able to grow mine from seeds, which I am very proud! ;)

I find myself sitting on the ground like a kid nurturing all my plants. :p

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Although there is initial outlay in both money and labour, fit watering systems to your garden.
I have two dripper systems; one connected to an outside tap which I fitted, and which waters the garden as a whole; the second is a gravity-fed system, into which I can introduce nutrients, which waters and feeds the greenhouse plants.
Both are far less trouble than using a hose. Both are legal to use during a hosepipe ban, and far, far less bother than a watering can, and both allow me to continue to grow my plants despite spending much of the summer at my holiday caravan. (In two week stays)

Reaction score
I have wanted a timer or a drip irrigation system for YEARS!

Unfortunately, the back faucet leaks, and I cannot replace it because the joint is inside the back wall. I keep thinking that I will figure out a solution, but it hasn't happened yet. Reducing the effort I put into watering is the next logical step, as I have to water a good deal in the middle of summer. I should give it some serious thought this year.

Reaction score
Great tips! I stretch before doing a lot of garden work - light yoga and hamstring stretches. It really makes a difference in the time it takes before my body starts aching. And, I personally like raised beds and tall pots to lessen the strain of bending over.
I also occasionally sharpen my trowels to make digging take far less effort (you'd be surprised at the difference it makes!).

Reaction score
I'm heavily into container gardening. I don't have to dig in my root infested yard, that way, and the containers are elevated, so I can reach them easily. I have a short garden stool I use for working on things at ground level. I have a potting bench on my back porch with a taller stool that is comfortable for working at table height.

Reaction score
If you're short on space or have physical disabilities that prevent you from bending down, you can build raised beds with supports so they're at table height. Then store your stuff under them.

Reaction score
I like to tie my tomatoes onto stakes, so that I can harvest them without bending over. I also have a small plastic stool, so that I can sit down while I pick the peas, the bush beans, and the lowest tomatoes. This way I can spare my middle-aged joints while I work. The ground seems a lot farther away than it did when I was in my twenties!

I have ALSO learned that it is very easy to shell the peas if they have been boiled for a minute or two first! I just take the peas, pods and all, and I dump them into a large pot of boiling water. After one to two minutes, I fish them out and I dump them into cold water to stop them from cooking any longer. After the peas are cooler, I can squeeze the pea pod like a tube of toothpaste, and the peas will shoot out the end! This is MUCH easier than trying to shell the peas without boiling them first!

Do you folks also have things that you do, to reduce the wear and tear on your bodies?

The idea to boil the peas for a minute before trying to shell them is genius!

Reaction score
I just read a WONDERFUL book on raised bed gardening, called "Stand up and garden" by Mary Moss-Sprague!.

The bottom of her containers and the raised beds are filled with packed straw and fertilizer. This is MUCH cheaper than trying to fill a large container with potting soil! And, as it breaks down into compost the straw feeds the vegetables.

Right now I am putting straw and whatever organic matter I can scrounge up into a large pot that a tree came in: when it is full I will top it with bought soil and I will plant it. I wonder if it is too late in the year to raise carrots in it? My carrots failed this year, and it is really VERY luxurious to pull a carrot or two when you want it! Those grocery store carrots are simply not very FRESH!

Reaction score
I just read a WONDERFUL book on raised bed gardening, called "Stand up and garden" by Mary Moss-Sprague!.

The bottom of her containers and the raised beds are filled with packed straw and fertilizer. This is MUCH cheaper than trying to fill a large container with potting soil! And, as it breaks down into compost the straw feeds the vegetables.

Right now I am putting straw and whatever organic matter I can scrounge up into a large pot that a tree came in: when it is full I will top it with bought soil and I will plant it. I wonder if it is too late in the year to raise carrots in it? My carrots failed this year, and it is really VERY luxurious to pull a carrot or two when you want it! Those grocery store carrots are simply not very FRESH!

I wonder if the straw could be replaced by leaves or a combo of leaves and straw? We have tons of leaves but we would have to buy straw.

Reaction score
I wonder if the straw could be replaced by leaves or a combo of leaves and straw? We have tons of leaves but we would have to buy straw.

I have been wondering the same thing.

I have found that leaves do not break down as quickly in the compost pile as straw does, but it should provide bulk. I am thinking about gathering together some fall leaves, heaping them in the driveway, and running over them with the lawn mower to shred them so they break down faster. I also have some long grass in the fence: if I cut it with nippers and remove the seed head I might have something fit to put into a pot: after all wheat is part of the grass family. Straw is just cut grass with no seeds!

If I use lawn clippings it would introduce grass seeds to the mix and I do not want that. But, some shredded leaves, some fertilizer, the tall grass in the fence after I remove the seed head..... I am pretty sure I can fill a couple of large pots! Then I can top with soil and plant!

Jed

Reaction score
I've never been one to turn a compost heap. Hard on the back if you've ever done it. :rolleyes:
The heap does the work for you. :) I use layers of straw, horse manure and fresh grass clippings. The grass clippings are used sparingly but it's an important part to getting the compost pile hot. I water each layer then cover the heap with a plastic sheet. It can be ready in a couple of weeks. The end result is compost ready to be use in the garden filled with plenty of earth worms. :)

Reaction score
I have been wondering the same thing.

I have found that leaves do not break down as quickly in the compost pile as straw does, but it should provide bulk. I am thinking about gathering together some fall leaves, heaping them in the driveway, and running over them with the lawn mower to shred them so they break down faster. I also have some long grass in the fence: if I cut it with nippers and remove the seed head I might have something fit to put into a pot: after all wheat is part of the grass family. Straw is just cut grass with no seeds!

If I use lawn clippings it would introduce grass seeds to the mix and I do not want that. But, some shredded leaves, some fertilizer, the tall grass in the fence after I remove the seed head..... I am pretty sure I can fill a couple of large pots! Then I can top with soil and plant!

We have used the lawnmower to run over ours before and that seemed to help them break down faster. I would say that there is no harm in trying your idea. If it does not work you can change a few things and try again.

I've never been one to turn a compost heap. Hard on the back if you've ever done it. :rolleyes:
The heap does the work for you. :) I use layers of straw, horse manure and fresh grass clippings. The grass clippings are used sparingly but it's an important part to getting the compost pile hot. I water each layer then cover the heap with a plastic sheet. It can be ready in a couple of weeks. The end result is compost ready to be use in the garden filled with plenty of earth worms. :)

I don't like turning ours either. I think I will try the covering with plastic idea. I have also heard that if you pour drinks such as coca cola or pepsi on the pile it will break down faster as well. Have you ever tried that?

Jed

Reaction score
No I hadn't heard that the use of coca cola being an accelerator.I can't see it working though being only sugar and caffeine unless one of the secret :cool: ingredients is an enzyme.o_O You can buy products that do accelerate compost. We have one called actyzyme which comes in a pellet form and is used to reduce drain smells and help break things down. You probably have an equivalent compost accelerator available in your country.
http://www.actizyme.com.au/compost-accelertor/

Ask a Question