Some houseplant questions for a school course

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Hi. I hope this is allowed but I couldn't find rules so here it goes. For a course at school, I have some questions to ask people with houseplants, I have no expert knowledge to help people but I'm interested nevertheless.

1. What are some struggles that you have with keeping plants, for example diseases, nutrient deficiencies, the plants not getting water when you're on holiday or you forgetting to water them?
2. Would you get more plants if you had less of these struggles?
3. What is your reason for having houseplants?

If you're reading this, it'd be forever appreciated if you post a reply, all other thoughts also welcome :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums :)

Only got a cactus as a houseplant, so take him with me if I go away.

Reason for having him is he was starved and used as an ash try by my evil ex wife, he's much happier and well fed now and has grown about 4 times the size.

I call him Owcho :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Struggles with houseplants: Overwatering, under watering, not enough sunlight, too much sunlight, nitrogen deficiencies, overdose in nitrogen, mold, fungus, acidic soil. Also, on a more personal note, I don't feel comfortable having soil/dirt in the house. Not very sanitary in my opinion.

Would I get more if I had less of these struggles? Heck ya!

What is my reason? Well, I currently don't have enough house plants (besides for the ones that are rooting in water.) But the reason is that because it does brighten the room and connects you with nature.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Plants breathe in carbon dioxide and out oxygen so are therefore good for us, making indoor plants not only aesthetically pleasing but a healthy essential..... maybe;)!
I try to put the indoor plants out in the rain but mine do struggle in doors with central heating and a spot of neglect, I really must try to be a bit more vigilant in taking good care of them.
Thanks for the reminder and good luck with your studies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Struggles with houseplants, the wrong enviroment for them, indoor air tends to be dry in the winter time and if you have a tropical plant it doesn't work too well. Also, I always have pets, and pets tend to get rambunctious and will gnaw on plants or knock them over or something. I have more than a plant or two that has been killed by my pets.

Ask a Question