solomon's seal (polygonatum odoratum variegatum)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So i am new to this gardening thing and i was over at a friend of mines house looking at his plants around his back yard. I noticed a cool looking plant and noticed his dog had broken over some of the steams of this plant. I decided to bring it home to see if i can get it growing in a pot outside.

So my question is, do i try and clone the stem in water the same way you would a herb or do i just put the plant the root in the pot and water it.

I cant find much about this plant on the web and any help would be great.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Solomon's Seal is propagated by rhizome (that's the bulb things underground that the stems rise from) or by seed, but by seed is much more difficult. Ask your friend for a rhizome, and plant it in the shade. Solomon's Seal will spread, so one rhizome will eventually give you a colony.
I don't think trying to root a stem is going to work. There are different strokes for different plants, and those that grow from bulbs or rhizomes (day lilies, iris, crocus, etc.) generally don't form roots from stems.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
We have several in our shade garden, they look nice as a gathering. And as a back drop to other plants. As we were walking around the property found a way ward one on the other side, have to go transplant it this weekend. They are hardy, and will make more every year when they come back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You start with a few and they grow into this

image.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
They will spread like wild fire, once the get going, I had only 2 when I moved here 13 years ago and now I find them coming up all over the yard. I wish my Jack in the pulpit would grow like that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Wow, mine does not spread like that, wish they would. I think its my zone that keeps them slow spreading. Put mine in about 20 years ago, just only a few, nothing crowded etc. And there is plenty of room if they want.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
I do a lot of weeding for a particular customer. He asked his mother if he could have some Solomon's Seal. She replied Yes.
I have taken some Solomon's Seal from her garden and transplanted them at her son's.

Ask a Question