solid wheels only from now on

• Thread starter Peace perfect peace
  • Start date
P

Peace perfect peace

Good afternoon church goers, :angelic:
The weather here today is a bit strange hot but misty,
Ive been cleaning the light glass covers on verious outside lights and giving the rotovator a good clean and removing the verious bramble's from around the wheel shaft area's and give the complete machine a good clean, (im the old school and like one day a week to check over the tools etc,

The hand tools such as spade/fork/hoe etc get cleaned after every use by an idea i took on years ago, its half of a 45 gall drum (cut in half) and 3/4 filled with sharp sand and old engine oil added after the verious machines have an oil change, i just pour the old oil into the oil drum and let it soak into the sand,

The drum is just inside the shed out of the way and after the hand tools have been used i clean of any cloggs of soil etc and then dip the tool into the sand/oil mix up & down so all the metal bits are covered a few times and the metel work is both cleaned and a thin film of oil added all at the sams time,

This drum by being indoors keeps dry and last for years, A very handy cleaning bit of kit and quick to use, I made a wooden Lid that sits on top of the drum and this acts as a handy seat for when im cleaning the likes of mowers/rotovator so the complete drum's worked out a handy and much used bit of kit,

The verious wheel barrows i have,
I bought new and all have inner-tube tyre's, Not long ago i bought an old knackered wheel barrow "But " it did have a solid rubber tyre and i decided because i was fed up with the air inflated inner tubes going soft, I'd try this solid tyre, and from now on i'll keep with solid rubber wheels
I feel they're much better,

Well im back ,outside soon to continue sorting tools out for next weeks gardening,
Have a nice one folks?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
My Scag ZTR mower has solid rubber front wheels. The old mower, a John Deere, had tire that require air. Those had to be inflated every time I mowed. Solid rubber makes for a bouncy feel if I hit a root, but that keeps me from mowing too fast.

But, I agree not having to inflate tires is a real plus.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I hear you on the wheels...

I bought a cheap wheelbarrow with an inflated tire. That tire went flat so I replaced the tube. That replacement went flat so I replaced it with a "slime" filled tube. That one blew out so I did it again. By that point I had spent more on tires and tubes than on the wheelbarrow.

After 10 years of heavy use the whole wheelbarrow failed and had to be replaced.

I bought a nice one with a big metal bucket and solid foam wheel. I won't go back to inflated wheelbarrow wheels.

Buy good tools early and save money in the long run.

----------------

Would veg oil or similar do the same on the tools as the used motor oil in sand?

Don't forget the wooden handles of tools. Give them a wipe down with boiled linseed oil a few times a year.

P

Peace perfect peace

Hi Yan,
I agree ref the solid wheels "but" its took me all these years to learn by my own mistake,

Ref the oil, its the oil in the sand that makes the cleaned tool that little bit oiled and thats waste engine oil,

The only time i use oil long term is if im storing tools for a long time and then i use spray on oil,

Ask a Question