Soil ph

Reaction score
Crop yield can be greatly affected by something as simple as the soil pH. Some plants will do well in acidic soil than on alkaline soils. Getting the pH right will be a big plus.

Reaction score
I would edit my original post, but it seems the ability has been taken away...

The link for the soil ph pen has changed to: https://www.getbluelab.com/Products/by-category/pens/Bluelab-Soil-pH-Pen.aspx

I bought one of these not long after I originally posted the link, I have found it seriously useful since I can make small adjustments as necessary, yields have improved and much larger.. If your serious about your home grown veg this is one serious tool to have.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Looks good, beats messing about with the old liquid PH testers :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
To be honest, I've never thought of testing my miniature roses soil's PH levels. Who knows, maybe it's a good idea! After all, I want my roses to grow big and healthy:)

Reaction score
To be honest, I've never thought of testing my miniature roses soil's PH levels. Who knows, maybe it's a good idea! After all, I want my roses to grow big and healthy:)
I would be thinking most soil would be in range for your roses, but you can always fine tune, often tuning things just so produces results beyond your wildest expectations.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have not tested my soil but i have tested my fish tank water on a weekly basis and its a little high. But my Ph out of the tap water is also on the higher end.
I have found a few things online say i could use drift wood to naturally bring the ph level down but i have not been able to test this claim.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I suppose the soil pH should always be corrected with a bias towards alkalinity. The reason for this is the fact that plant roots produce acids as a result of metabolic activities. This raises the pH of the soil which acts as a nutrient binder. Its therefore necessary to periodically lime the soil to correct this. Wood ash is also a good substance in this respect.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
It depends on the plant. Tomatoes do not like higher ph but the pathogens do. One good reason to keep a lower ph is fighting soil fungal attack.

Ask a Question