Soil for those who don't want to worry about over watering.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I had to repot my Autumnale Fuchsia. It's a hanger and I needed a taller pot. Some of you might notice it from an other thread I started in the Indoor Plants thread. It was an experiment in growing a fuchsia in a soilless mix. As you can see by the pictures...it has thrived and is now huge!

Plants get 3 things from "soil". Nutrients, water, and something to anchor to. As long as they get those 3 things, they don't care what "soil" they are planted in. Where we get into trouble is when the "soil" is too wet and too compact, roots don't get the oxygen they need. No oxygen equals root rot and dead plants.

I solve this problem in the winter time with this soilless mix. The great thing about it is it is IMPOSSIBLE to over water. I could put 2 cups of water in a pot with this "soil" or run water from a hose into it non stop for 5 minutes. The soilless mix only absorbs so much water..the rest pours straight out the bottom of the pot. The roots get maximum exposure to oxygen with this kind of "soil" but there is no nutrients to speak of. I use a 20-20-20 fertilizer mixed at 1/4 strength every time I water the plant.

MY POT
pot.jpg

DRYWALL TAPE TO BLOCK OFF THE DRAINAGE HOLES

drywall tap.jpg

CRUSHED GRANITE...CHICKEN GRIT BOUGHT FROM TRACTOR SUPPLY

crushed granite.jpg

PINE BARK FOR WATER RETENTION

pine.jpg

TURFACE FOR WATER RETENTION

turface.jpg

LAVA ROCK

lava rock.jpg

MIXED TOGETHER YOU GET THIS

final.jpg

FUCHSIA ALREADY PLANTED IN THIS MIX WITH SOME OF THE MIX REMOVED

existing.jpg

LOVELY WHITE ROOTS EVERYWHERE

roots.jpg

PLANT IN NEW POT..NOW IT CAN HANG FREELY!!

20151130_105920.jpg

20151130_105932.jpg

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
That soil mixture sounds interesting, some of the items I would not know where to get chicken grit or turface, I live in the city. I am all ways looking for ways to keep my plants healthy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
This looks interesting but I wonder if I can duplicate that. I am not a good gardener, just a hobbyist and I had received so many gardening ideas including the water bonsai which is a small tree planted in water where you see the roots. But this kind of planting medium is new to me. But maybe I can give it a try because I'm sure that will be a challenge to my husband, he is a good gardener.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I admit some of the components may not be the easiest thing to get your hands on. It's certainly easier to just go buy a bag of your favorite potting soil. I wouldn't even recommend this to someone who was just a casual grower. But if you want to maximize your plants health and growth and don't mind spending a little extra money and time, I can show you the benefits.

The chicken grit is just crushed granite. It can be bought anywhere farm supplies and feed is sold. It's used to mix in with chicken food to help with digestion. There is Manna Pro, Dumor, Purina..just google Chicken grit or Poultry grit and you well get a bunch of hits.

Turface is actually Turface MVP. It is used on baseball fields to help with aeration. If you ever watch a baseball game when it is raining you may notice between innings the grounds keepers running out and spreading dirt on the infield to absorb the water. That is Turface MVP. It can be bought in small bags on Amazon or in larger bags at John Deere stores. You can use Napa Oil Absorbent part # 8822. I know, that sounds strange to use with a plant, but is basically the same thing and bonsai enthusiasts swear by it.

Pine bark and lava rocks are self explanatory. If anyone is interested in this kind of mix let me know. I can probably find places near where you live that have the componenets or good substitutes. I'd feel terrible if you went out and spent the money and got the wrong things.

Here are some more of my test results...they are a bit hard to believe I know

These are Ficus cuttings. Both were the same height when I started them give or take an inch. The one on the left is in the experimental mix. The one on the right in a standard potting mix with sphagnum moss, perlite, and pine bark.

ficus 2.jpg

THE ONE ON THE LEFT IS IN THE EXPERIMENTAL MIX. YES, THEY WERE GROWN SITTING NEXT TO EACH OTHER IN FRONT OF A WINDOW.

ficus 1.jpg

These are olive tree cuttings. They were very similar in size and shape when I started them. The one on the left I started in the experimental mix. The one on the right I transplanted a couple months later when I realized it was not growing as fast. There doesn't look like there is that big of a difference.

20151201_153253.jpg

SEEN FROM ABOVE, YOU CAN TELL THE DIFFERENCE. THE ONE ON THE LEFT THAT WAS STARTED IN THE EXPERIMENTAL MIX IS MUCH FULLER.

20151201_153311.jpg

Last is a fuchsia, a somewhat tricky plant to grow that needs moisture and likes lots of food. As you can see, it is growing quite nicely in this mix. You have to admit, this mix looks a heck of a lot more pleasing than the white and black look of regular potting soil.

20151201_161853.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That soil mixture even looks pretty! I have to say, you are quite a gardener! I am planning on buying pots to grow things since we will move soon to a smaller area and there is absolutely no space for anything: inside and outside! Pots are the solution for me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
QUOTE: I use a 20-20-20 fertilizer mixed at 1/4 strength every time I water the plant.

QUOTE: Last is a fuchsia, a somewhat tricky plant to grow that needs moisture and likes lots of food.
Since I've never gardened this way, would you go into just a bit more detail regarding the two above statements.

i.e. what is a 1/4 strength mixture ? A ratio of fertilizer to water by weight ?

lots of food? is that with just a stronger mix than 1/4 ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@SeniorCitizen: The 20-20-20 I use is probably the most popular and well respected brand on the market, Jacks Classic All Purpose. It's water soluble. The normal mixture is one teaspoon of fertilizer per gallon of water applied every 7 - 14 days. Or, you can make it fool proof and just mix 1/4 teaspoon of fertilizer per gallon of water and use it every time you water your plants. I like to take the guessing out of whether or not my plants need food or water. This soil mix and fertilizing every time I water takes the guess work out of it. It's all automatic. With this soil mix you have to water every two days. I actually missed the the fuchsia pictured in this thread and it was day 3 before I watered it. It was wilted and I thought I lost it but it luckily perked back up.

When I said lots of food I meant fuchsias are plants that continuously need fertilizer. They eat it up. Because this soil doesn't retain moisture for long I have to continuously replenish the nutrients. Other plants hardly need any fertilizer. My jade tree gets feed once a year and that's all it needs.

I'll admit, this soil mixture is high maintenance. You cannot expect to water it and then forget about the plant. I don't like my plants sitting in moist soil for too long. I worry about root rot, not enough oxygen getting to the roots. Now that winter is setting in and I had to bring them all in, it is taking at least a week for the soil to get dry enough for me to water the ones still in regular potting soil. It doesn't help that most of what I grow, gardenias and fuchsias, need cool temperatures and high humidity. According to the British Fuchsia Society, fuchsias show the most vigorous growth when watered after the soil has dried. I will probably re-pot all of my plants with this soil mix soon.

20151204_155353.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
That soil mixture even looks pretty! I have to say, you are quite a gardener! I am planning on buying pots to grow things since we will move soon to a smaller area and there is absolutely no space for anything: inside and outside! Pots are the solution for me.
You're right IcyBC! It looks much more attractive than regular potting soil. You can see in the background of the bottom picture my mini forest sitting in regular potting soil. Kinds kinda yucky looking compared to the soil mix the fuchsia is sitting in.

Ask a Question