Sodium Percarbonate

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thanks for this post! I have noodled around for a possible roof cleaner and after reading some about it think I will try some oxi-clean on my shed. Evidently water dilutes away any risk of concentration effects. What I have seen written or discussed starts with a 4oz per quart water. It has two parts, sodium carbonate (washing soda or soda ash, pool pH up) and the second component is hydrogen peroxide.

Aside, I have areas where I wish to keep moss, and have it be weed free. I was amused to learn glyophosate and other herbicides that rely on the vascular system of a plant will not hurt moss, because it has no vascular system. The oxygen released by sodium percarbonate works best on the single cell type plants and not higher forms from what I have read so far. The oxidation usually is essentially reducing the cells as if by burning. I suppose the oxygen comes out of their structure, but I am no chemist. Interesting subject!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for your research in this! My house has dirty, mossy pavers all around it, paths off of it and a drive with plants bordering it. Would you use it?

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
Soda for barrels - this is the trade (popular) name of sodium carbonate. Caustic soda is also the trade name of sodium base - one of the strongest bases. If you pour it in a more concentrated solution, you will see how before your eyes the wood "evaporates" .But keep an eye out that if a drop falls, you can get very bad. There is salvation from acid, but from the base - almost none.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I understood that Sodium Percarbonate and Sodium Carbonate are not the same.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thank you for your research in this! My house has dirty, mossy pavers all around it, paths off of it and a drive with plants bordering it. Would you use it?
Not on pathways. I would pressure blast the stone, or even scrub with a long handled stiff flooring or brick brush. Leaving a living "Mortar" in between the stones is quite attractive and hard to come by. As you see it takes quite some time to develop. I would spray glyophosate on the path if it goes to weed.

Also, diluted buttermilk is commonly used as a moss fertilizing spray, especially as the sticky protiens assist moss sticking to vertical or odd surfaces. The Nitrogen and Calcium and Magnesium are very good for moss. One could also dilute Calcium Nitrate (immediately available calcium) and Epsom salts as the sulfur in the magnesium sulphate will help acidity or at least help it stay where it is instead of rising as it breaks down.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not on pathways. I would pressure blast the stone, or even scrub with a long handled stiff flooring or brick brush. Leaving a living "Mortar" in between the stones is quite attractive and hard to come by. As you see it takes quite some time to develop. I would spray glyophosate on the path if it goes to weed.

Also, diluted buttermilk is commonly used as a moss fertilizing spray, especially as the sticky protiens assist moss sticking to vertical or odd surfaces. The Nitrogen and Calcium and Magnesium are very good for moss. One could also dilute Calcium Nitrate (immediately available calcium) and Epsom salts as the sulfur in the magnesium sulphate will help acidity or at least help it stay where it is instead of rising as it breaks down.
Thanks, but I definitely want to get rid of the moss. In my previous house which was very old, I nurtured it, but I am now in a new house that we had built and everything is modern and clean.

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I understood that Sodium Percarbonate and Sodium Carbonate are not the same.
Definitely different compounds. Sodium percarbonate is a convenient and relatively safe source of hydrogen peroxide.
The hydrogen peroxide forms oxygen and hydroxyl radicals and these attack the cell walls resulting in death of the cell.

Gloves and safety glasses would be a good idea when using.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucSac841

Latest Threads