So What Does Everyone Here Do For Work?

Reaction score
I work in IT, production application services. I support the middle tier servers for mission critical and business applications. It's interesting enough, but I've been doing this for over five years and I have a really short attention span, so I'm ready for a change. I counted once, I've had more than 40 jobs since I entered the workforce at 14 o_O

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
When i'm not looking after my Daughter I conserve Churches, Listed Buildings, Castles and Ancient Monuments.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Cor, what did you mine? That must have been a hell of a job.

Reaction score
I used to work as a nurse in geriatrics. (In English: I took care of the elderly). Right now I am sort of involuntarily retired, as nurses spend a lot of time on their feet and I am now slightly handicapped. So, now I look after the house and I look after my two almost-grown children.

My oldest is probably going to move out: she has a job, she is a legal adult, and she is mad at us. She has very firm ideas about how things ought to be run at my place, and how I should be more strict with her brother, and I disagree.

The funny thing is she ALSO goofed off sometimes, and I let her get off with just a word or two about it, just as I do with her brother. But she thinks that was different.

So, right now I am a housewife and a Mother.

Reaction score
I am a blogger and a freelancer for the most part. I do various other things online too, but I don't have an actual job besides being a mom :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I work online a little, but I mainly focus on educating myself:cool:. I'm one of these eternal students who love being at university and listening to lectures. Currently, I study philosophy, I also take a publishing course on weekends.

Reaction score
When I'm not taking care of my daughter and dog, I sell on eBay and do some freelance writing online. These things don't pay much so I work a lot of hours and never have a day off, but I choose to work from home because my daughter is the center of my universe.

Reaction score
When I'm not taking care of my daughter and dog, I sell on eBay and do some freelance writing online. These things don't pay much so I work a lot of hours and never have a day off, but I choose to work from home because my daughter is the center of my universe.
Good for you, ACSAPA! I stayed at home as much as I could with my two kids when they were little, and even though it was tough financially I wouldn't trade that time for the world!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Industrial gold. Yes it was nasty business. Dangerous as hell. Got caved on twice before the wife made me give it up.

Blimey, I worked in a Slate Quarry, but in the sheds on top, used to carve the stuff, make gravestones and house names.

Never did the underground working.

Reaction score
Good for you, ACSAPA! I stayed at home as much as I could with my two kids when they were little, and even though it was tough financially I wouldn't trade that time for the world!

My daughter is 15, but I'm a single parent, so if I didn't work freelance as much as possible, she would have no one to pick her up from school, she would come home to an empty house and have to fend for herself. That's not the end of the world but it's not a life that we would choose.

I do freelance work and sell online so that I can be both breadwinner and bread baker, both mother and father.
I work at my desk when she is at school, then bring her home and make dinner for her. Once she is busy with homework, I go back to my desk and work more.

It's not a life of leisure and luxury but it works for us and lets us be together most of the time.

Ask a Question