so excited to start my first garden!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hello! I am so happy to have found this forum. I am Fifi, in my thirties and I am living in zone 6, Ohio. Pleased to meet you all :)

For the past few years, I have grown to be a really good cook and coming up with my own dishes. I always find myself in the store so fascinated by trying new vegetables, fruit and I love to cook from stratch. My favorite thing to cook is roasted root vegetables because it is so EASY and quick. I have a 1.5 year old son and I make ALL of his food... I have gotten inspired by trying new vegetables because of him. his favorite thing I make him is roasted cumin and orange spiced carrots... lol. some more of his favorites are parsnips, brussels sprouts, beet, winter and summer squash and now recently rutabagas! there is seriously NO vegetable he hasn't liked. I'm pretty lucky :)

Why am I telling you all this? Well... I am very comfortable and "seasoned" when it comes to food in the kitchen, but I have no idea how to start growing my own food. In my fantasy mind I see myself having carrot, brussels sprouts, a pear tree... all this may or may not happen but I at least want to try! I want to start growing my own food. I think starting out with a small tomato and zucchini garden may be a good start?? I was searching on the site for just general newbie advice and I was wondering if maybe you all may have a pinned newbie thread? I've done some searching and youtube channel watching. I know I need to get all my tools, compost, cage for tomato plant, and some sort of watering system. shrug... help me lol... It all seems so overwhelming when you have never done it before.

What are some general tips that you would recommend to a newbie? Am I starting too late for tomato and zucchini? It's almost March...

If anyone wants the cumin and orange spice recipe let me know... I am happy to share if anyone is interested! I know I will learn a ton from you all. Thanks for listening and talk to you all soon!

Sheryl H.

Gardening Addict
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I was new to gardening about 6 years ago and ended up being the woman in our subdivision giving vegetables to everyone. I even bring back tomato seeds from Austria and grow their varieties!
My advice is to do what I did. Make a list of what you want to plant. Find info online. I have a farmers almanac list of veggies and when to plant them in my area. Determine what you can and plant now. (not too late for tomatoes or zucchini.)

"Googling" can be both beneficial and harmful. NEVER go off one persons info. Find a lot of info that you see as a commonality.
Also, when I started I started a garden diary. Every veggie, what I did, what worked what didn't etc. Every disease, bug, soil type, watering needs, drain needs. Example my squash and zucchini got "sick" so I know it was hours I spent finding various info on the net. Come to find out they had Squash Vine Borers. Many said the plants were history, but I found info on how to carefully remove them with a razor blade and tweezers, bury my stem and saved many of the plants!

I'm editing to add: It's too late to start tomatoes and zucchini from seeds. I'm in Decatur, AL and our stores are just now starting to get things in. If you can, buy a few established plants from those places. They're about $4. for 4 babies.

Last edited:

Ask a Question