Snowdrops

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Our Snowdrop Wood is just beginning to get its covering of Galanthus nivalis. There are a few thousand of them in it.

Snowdrop Wood.jpg

nivalis.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's weird, I've just created a new thread too and I was able to post two big pictures.
Anyway, those snowdrops are beyond beautiful! I hope mine will start blooming soon as well. I miss them!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I think snowdrops were on my list of winter blooming flowers to look for. I haven't seem them in the garden center here, though I confess I have been trying not to look, lol. I already have more plants than I can easily manage and I'm responsible for two other gardens.

Reaction score
Yes I see them in your lovely pictures and there are so many of them. These snowdrops are very pretty. In the future I may just plant some for my garden along with other flowers. In my mind I can picture these flowers in my garden and I can't wait to start planting some flowers.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Mine are just beginning. You have lovely big clumps. My little rescued bulbs pulled while blooming will take a few years to have a nice size again, but are still cheery to see this time of year.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'd place some snowdrops next to some colored lillies, in front of a nice solid green hedge to bring out their colors for from lawn decorating. For back gardens I'd group them near (but no too near) red roses as they attack each other for space. If I could grow them.

Reaction score
Beautiful, I hope I can get some of those and plant them around my new garden. They are some of the most beautiful flowers I have ever seen :) There is something about those flowers that makes them look so eerie and magical to me :D Definitely a must have plant for my garden next year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are absolutely gorgeous, and I have always wanted to have them in my garden. I can't find them at local nurseries, so I might have to get them online.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Those are very nice flowers, kind of relaxing to look at in a way. What area are they native to? I have never seen them before and I am curious if they would grow in my area.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Galanthus are basically native to Europe. Possibly introduced by the Romans into Britain, but native to France, Italy and then eastwards into Southern Russia. The most common one in cultivation is Galanthus nivalis, but there are a fair number of other species. Some flower in Autumn and over winter as well as the more common spring ones.
The prices you can pay for different forms can vary between the affordable and the ridiculous.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Our Snowdrop Wood is just beginning to get its covering of Galanthus nivalis. There are a few thousand of them in it.

View attachment 4092

View attachment 4093

So lovely and dainty. Do they multiply on their own very readily? I have my version of a woodlands garden and they would look lovely in there but that's any awful lot to buy I'm sure you'd agree;). I bought two similar plants but with little green dots which I think have spread a bit but certainly not a rampant growth. Yours look really lovely:):love:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Some forms do spread quite quickly, but others are very slow to multiply. The ones in our Wood bulk up very rapidly. Plant one bulb this year and it is 5 bulbs by the end of the season. Having said that, the ones in our Wood have probably been there for about 100 years. The Perry Pear under which they grow is about that age.
Not sure about the US, but in Britain and Europe you can buy G. nivalis by the hundred for very reasonable prices. In fact the more you buy the cheaper they get.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, it looked heavenly beautiful! I can't express enough how much I love it! Snowdrops are magical little plants:) If I had a garden, I'd plant them everywhere:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Beautiful photos @Owdboggy (y) I love seeing a carpet of snowdrops (or bluebells too for that matter)!

Ask a Question