Snow Peas in the Fall

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
After two years of beautiful snow pea harvests in the spring, I decided to go out on a limb and plant them in August. I'd never heard of them being a fall crop, but thought, why not? It's a shot in the dark here in central Iowa, as our fall is so unpredictable. One day it might be 70*, the next it could be snowing. Although I figured snow peas could withstand a few light frosts, so gave it a shot.

Now here's the funny thing - the peas sprouted just fine in a hot August (they don't usually grow well in hot weather), grew to blooms and made it through a few light frosts. We managed to pick a few pods in October and even in November before they were killed off. What finally did them in wasn't the temperature, but a freak November TORNADO that grazed our town last week. How bizarre is that!? Poor little peas never knew what hit them!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Amazing that you managed to harvest a fall crop of snow peas! I've never had any luck although I've tried several times.
Sorry about the tornado taking your peas out (literally!). Just glad it didn't get you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Wow, well done on managing to get them growing at that time of year! I have friends living just out of Des Moines and they always say that the weather can be crazily inconsistent there - so I guess it adds a level of challenge to any gardening you do!!

Reaction score
Oh no! Poor little peas. It's surprising to me that you got them to grow throughout the summer months. At least that's a win. :p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Fantastic that you still can harvest snow peas in the fall! We have unpredictable weather here in Michigan too and I quit taking care of my garden when it gets too cold outside. Kudos to you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Wow, well done on managing to get them growing at that time of year! I have friends living just out of Des Moines and they always say that the weather can be crazily inconsistent there - so I guess it adds a level of challenge to any gardening you do!!

We're just 30 miles east of Des Moines, and yes, it is VERY crazy weather sometimes. The peas are done for now as we just got a blanket of snow on Friday. Weird because a few weeks ago it was thunderstorms and tornadoes. HAH! Yup, crazy indeed. But it was fun to snag a few extra peas to go along with supper, at least for a little while. :)

Ask a Question