Snake plant with hollowed out center?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! Thank you for taking the time to access this with me and directing me in the rite direction. Have had this issue for a while now but don't know why or what to do.....

I have had this snake plant for a number of years. Has always been healthy n happy for the most part. About 6 months ago, I noticed that the middle of the plant base, where the roots are, is completely hollowed out and keeps getting bigger and bigger. I can't see any noticable bugs or pests on the plant. There is some mild webbing, but nothing major and not getting worse. I feel like there is something living in that hole but I can't ever see anything. I am creeped out a little bit by the whole situation, so I don't tend to get too close. Some of the leaves on the putter edge have been not looking so great!! Any thoughts or suggestions would be wonderful. Thanks so much!!!

Attachments

• 16265815057857393651082897993857.jpg
    16265815057857393651082897993857.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 61
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, and welcome to the Forums.

It is not clear to me that there necessarily is a problem. Snake Plant (Dracaena trifasciata, formerly Sansevieria trifasciata) is a rhizomatous species in which separate clumps could naturally separate leaving a gap. There could be root rot situation in affect but you would have to explore the unknown to determine this. If you are willing, tip the plant out of its pot and examine the roots. For added measure, do a partial soil replacement when you re-pot it... or you could also just fill in the hole with a few handfuls of fresh potting soil and call it a day.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! Thank you for taking the time to access this with me and directing me in the rite direction. Have had this issue for a while now but don't know why or what to do.....

I have had this snake plant for a number of years. Has always been healthy n happy for the most part. About 6 months ago, I noticed that the middle of the plant base, where the roots are, is completely hollowed out and keeps getting bigger and bigger. I can't see any noticable bugs or pests on the plant. There is some mild webbing, but nothing major and not getting worse. I feel like there is something living in that hole but I can't ever see anything. I am creeped out a little bit by the whole situation, so I don't tend to get too close. Some of the leaves on the putter edge have been not looking so great!! Any thoughts or suggestions would be wonderful. Thanks so much!!!

Snake Plant (Dracaena Trifasciata) Indoor Care Guide​

The plant has tall, sword-shaped dark green leaves with white stripes that appear as different types of marbling depending on the variety. Many different Snake Plant varieties are cultivated for the unique marbling on their leaves. The plant gets its name from its growth pattern, which resembles an arboreal snake’s body coiling around itself. This plant is often used in offices to filter the air for harmful toxins. However, it can also be kept outdoors during certain times of year without any risk since it does not need sunlight.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It's probably just that the organic matter in the potting soil has decomposed and left a hole where it used to be. Like Marck said, throw some potting soil in there and stop worrying about it. If it's indoors it can't be anything too dangerous.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi there! Thanks for reaching out for help with your snake plant. It sounds like you've been taking good care of it for years, but recently noticed some issues. It's concerning that the middle of the plant base where the roots are is hollowed out and getting bigger.

One possibility is that your plant has a pest infestation. Even if you haven't seen any bugs, it's possible that something like a root weevil is living inside the hollowed-out area. The mild webbing you mentioned could also be a sign of spider mites or other pests. I recommend inspecting the plant more closely and looking for signs of pests like chewed leaves, webbing, or tiny bugs.

Another possibility is that your plant is suffering from a fungal infection or rot. If the hollowed-out area is soft and mushy, this could be a sign of root rot. This can happen if the soil is too wet or the plant is not getting enough light.

To address these issues, you can try the following steps:

1. Repot your plant in fresh soil. Make sure the new soil is well-draining and has good aeration to prevent root rot.
  2. Check for pests and treat the plant with an appropriate insecticide or fungicide, depending on the issue.
  3. Move the plant to a location with more light, if possible.
I hope these suggestions help you restore your snake plant to its healthy state!

Ask a Question