Snails are killing everything

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I just came back home today. I was out of town. Mostly everything it severely bitten off. Some plants have to leaves anymore. I'm seriously thinking of giving up on gardening. Nothing will kill off these snails. Is there anything very sharp I can have on the border of my garden? I'm not looking into egg shells, coffee grounds ect. I want something dangerously sharp that nothing can cross over without getting stabbed to death. These snails are unkillable. What can I buy?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I just came back home today. I was out of town. Mostly everything it severely bitten off. Some plants have to leaves anymore. I'm seriously thinking of giving up on gardening. Nothing will kill off these snails. Is there anything very sharp I can have on the border of my garden? I'm not looking into egg shells, coffee grounds ect. I want something dangerously sharp that nothing can cross over without getting stabbed to death. These snails are unkillable. What can I buy?
The best thing is sluggo but you have to keep it applied, heavily, all the time, while snails and slugs are there. You can forget about egg shells and coffee grounds. I know, a lot of folks use them,k but really what are they? If you want something sharp put down those carpet tack strips. You need something that will kill them, not have them look for another way to invade. Sluggo works. If you have to leave town put a lot of it out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Sluggo didn't work. It was expensive and ran out faster than water. The snails didn't even eat it. It was completely pointless. I put out a ton of it. I have a small garden space. If I can put those carpet tack strips, that can be perfect.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sluggo didn't work. It was expensive and ran out faster than water. The snails didn't even eat it. It was completely pointless. I put out a ton of it. I have a small garden space. If I can put those carpet tack strips, that can be perfect.
I find it hard to believe that sluggo didn't work. If it didn't take pictures and document what happened or didn't happen. You probably have recourse

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm sorry, what a thing to come back to! No snails here but slugs and Sluggo worked great for them. I did previously try eggshells, coffee, beer, copper foil, even flooring sandpaper (which is wicked rough and pointy.) Absolutely none of that bothered a single slug.

Not sure if diatomaceous earth would work, look it up...I suspect not, though it is awesome for fleas, hot spots and moist dermatitis in dogs; stops that in its tracks.

Maybe develop a taste for escargot; they are not TOO repulsive with lots of garlic butter and wine. :ROFLMAO:

Edit...I REALLY like this blog and subscribe to it. Here is what he has to say about DE and other methods of slug/snail control.

http://www.gardenmyths.com/how-to-get-rid-of-slugs-with-diatomaceous-earth/

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've read good things about diatomaceous earth too, although you have to re-apply it regularly (it's not as effective when it gets wet). Might be worth a try though (y)

Maybe develop a taste for escargot; they are not TOO repulsive with lots of garlic butter and wine. :ROFLMAO:

:LOL:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
coper strips work great around pots. I also like night walks with a torch and putting out left over beer from last nights session slugs fall in after a few ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
coper strips work great around pots. I also like night walks with a torch and putting out left over beer from last nights session slugs fall in after a few ;)

What's crazy is for the first time in my life I tried the beer thing early this spring, and I swear to doG not one single slug went for it. I had multiple shallow containers filled with cheap (Old Milwaukee) beer and not. One. Single. Happy. Dead. Slug.

Seriously. Maybe the slugs here like pricier brew, I don't know. I was hoping to find bowls full of beer-drowned slugs but not a single one, and I tried for a couple of weeks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've read good things about diatomaceous earth too, although you have to re-apply it regularly (it's not as effective when it gets wet). Might be worth a try though (y)

:LOL:
DE works great when it is dry but if the soil is the slightest bit damp it doesn't. And once damp it basically solidifies and when it dries out and doesn't work at all. DE is great stuff though. You can put it in your pets food to eliminate intestinal worms. You can rub it into your pets fur and it is death on fleas. Barnyards and stables use it to keep down the fly population. But for slugs and snails, which depend upon dampness it will be about useless

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Thanks guys. I think I'm giving up on plants. I think I'm moving onto trees. I have a young mango tree that wasn't doing well in the sandy soil. I moved it somewhere much better with sunlight and very healthy soil, and snipped off the dead tips of the leaves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks guys. I think I'm giving up on plants. I think I'm moving onto trees. I have a young mango tree that wasn't doing well in the sandy soil. I moved it somewhere much better with sunlight and very healthy soil, and snipped off the dead tips of the leaves.
Well, I hate to see you surrender to a bunch of mindless bugs but you are in the perfect location to grow fruit trees. All of the citrus, some varieties of peaches and plums plus figs. Most of the tropicals too. Just about everything except apples and cherrys. Even some nut trees too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
You're right. It wasn't smart of me to surrender like that. I made some changes. Instead of gardening in the ground where snails have access to everything, I made a cool spot and started container gardening. My pomagranet tree owns that garden spot now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You're right. It wasn't smart of me to surrender like that. I made some changes. Instead of gardening in the ground where snails have access to everything, I made a cool spot and started container gardening. My pomagranet tree owns that garden spot now.
Which pomegranate did you get? Wonderful or something else?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
It was there from before. I'm not sure what type. It's doing very well. I'll show a picture here now. Give me a minute.

Ask a Question