smelly "composted" manure

Reaction score
Hi. First post here.
I'm starting a late garden, because I recently moved.
I recently went to my local garden center and bought a few bags of "composted manure". When I got it home and opened the bags, the smell was awful. I grew up in Vermont, so I know what a dairy farm smells like, and I know what good, finished compost smells like, and this was completely different, like something had died. I had already opened the bags, and I couldn't return them, so I raked it into the top 6 inches of soil as best I could, which seems to have at least covered the odor. I'm planning on waiting a week before planting anything in it,

So, have I done a horrible thing? Is the smell just due to being in an anaerobic bag for a few weeks? will it dissipate? Is this way too raw to use in my garden? Will it burn my plants? Will I die from E. coli? Should I just wait until next year to use these beds? Is a week in the soil be long enough to "finish" it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi. First post here.
I'm starting a late garden, because I recently moved.
I recently went to my local garden center and bought a few bags of "composted manure". When I got it home and opened the bags, the smell was awful. I grew up in Vermont, so I know what a dairy farm smells like, and I know what good, finished compost smells like, and this was completely different, like something had died. I had already opened the bags, and I couldn't return them, so I raked it into the top 6 inches of soil as best I could, which seems to have at least covered the odor. I'm planning on waiting a week before planting anything in it,

So, have I done a horrible thing? Is the smell just due to being in an anaerobic bag for a few weeks? will it dissipate? Is this way too raw to use in my garden? Will it burn my plants? Will I die from E. coli? Should I just wait until next year to use these beds? Is a week in the soil be long enough to "finish" it?
Relax, don't worry. What you have already done is fine, With anerobic compost or green compost all you have to do is have a bit of patience. If you can make the compost you have already incorporated into the soil become more active by adding carbohydrates like molasses to speed up the decomposition process. It will work wonders. It will not take long at all. You will be fine Just keep the beds slightly moist and with a shovel turn the soil over about once a week before you plant. If you plant now just water with compost tea and you will be fine

Ask a Question