Smell of spring, your favourite?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Claudines post about her hyacinth made me suddenly think of my favourite smell in spring. I absolutely just love the smell of lilacs.

Now I'm really looking forward to spring! !!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is coming I saw two red breasted robins in the yard yesterday, the first signs of spring. I like to smell honeysuckle and jasmine in the spring air.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lilacs and Rhododendron bushes are in major supply everywhere around here in the spring/summer. I'm used to them myself, wouldn't be spring until I smelled em. But my favorite has to be

Fresh Cut Grass. I don't know why, when I'm strolling around and pruning my garden, over the other scents there always is that smell of someone cutting their grass. It's unmistakable - you truly know spring is in when you smell it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hyacinth and lilac have the best scent for sure in the spring. I have hyacinth in the garden, but no lilac. I also like the smell of fresh rain in the spring. There is something about the rain washing over the garden and bringing all the flowers back to life that gives it a fresh smell :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have to say lilacs too. Growing up we had this enormous lilac bush beside the house, it was probably 10 feet tall, and just covered in dark purple flowers all spring. I remember my mother would cut a bunch first thing in the morning and wrap them in wet paper towels and tin foil, so I could take them to school and give my teacher.

Honeysuckle and forsythia was another favorite. We had several bushes growing in our hedgerow. We used to cut the forsythia branches and braid them to make headbands and necklaces.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Plum and cherry blossoms. Right now in Seattle the plum trees are starting to bloom and generally by March the entire region has a heady scent from all the blooming trees. I miss it really badly since the Midwest has nothing like that. Spring here is only marked by snow no longer being on the ground.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Lilacs and lilies are my favorite. When I smell a fresh lily I remember a bottle of lily of the valley perfume I had as a little girl. It brings back so many memories.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm surprised none of you said lavender!
My favorite smell? That would be dirt!
Nice fresh, malleable, un-frozen dirt. :whistle:

Ask a Question