Slug destruction!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hello everyone! I'm having a nasty little problem with a slug epidemic. They are devouring all the leaves off my lemon trees. It may be my fault for planting such small saplings in my garden, they were only about 6 inches tall, but they are thriving despite the leaves being devoured. I still need to find a way to control these slugs and get them off my plants..does anyone have any suggestions on a safe organic way I can do this without disrupting my plants? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello everyone! I'm having a nasty little problem with a slug epidemic. They are devouring all the leaves off my lemon trees. It may be my fault for planting such small saplings in my garden, they were only about 6 inches tall, but they are thriving despite the leaves being devoured. I still need to find a way to control these slugs and get them off my plants..does anyone have any suggestions on a safe organic way I can do this without disrupting my plants? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!
Sluggo Plus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Couple thoughts. I have read many time things about copper as deterrent (if you could find enough pre 1982 US pennies you could but them around). SLUGGO is a non-toxic product that they eat and then stop eating, completely , with expected results. This product also breaks down into iron and phosphate (kind of like fertilizer)

EDIT: Well darn late again with my reply, second time this AM LOL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Couple thoughts. I have read many time things about copper as deterrent (if you could find enough pre 1982 US pennies you could but them around). SLUGGO is a non-toxic product that they eat and then stop eating, completely , with expected results. This product also breaks down into iron and phosphate (kind of like fertilizer)

EDIT: Well darn late again with my reply, second time this AM LOL

Fantastic! I appreciate your reply! I love how you expanded on the Sluggo product. With it breaking down into a fertilizer it is something I will try out for sure! Do I apply it directly onto my plant or is it something that should be used around it? Im sure the instructions would tell me but better safe than sorry lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I would just kind of sprinkle it around, perhaps after an early evening shower when yopu know things are going to be damp after dark and slugs will be wandering :) . Other alternatives of course might be having some habitat that small snakes or toads would like to stay around in (these critters can be slugginaters also)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Well at the moment we are constantly getting storms and showers. Have had several everyday for the past two weeks! I guess since everything is so soaked the slugs have taken up residence in Our town. They are literally everywhere! I cant even walk to my car without seeing 15 to 20 just on my walkway

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
We go out at night with an old flour sifter and some DE hit the slugs when you can see them..Works like a charm and the slugs go away!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've always treated slugs with natural repellents and it turned out that it's quite efficient. I recently wrote an article about pest control in the garden, so here is the part about slugs. Hope it helps.

"These slippery slimy creatures just love to nibble on young growth and new emerging plants and they're more than happy to leave a trail of holes in leaves, stems, bulbs and flowers in their wake. Snails and slugs will be a problem all through the year but in the spring they will cause most damage because new growth is particularly at risk. Rather than use nasty slug pellets to kill them try some eco-friendly alternatives such as beer traps or coffee grounds spread round your garden. Copper is also a material that slugs and snails aren't very fond of so try putting a ring round more vulnerable plants."

The full article is here, if you are interested to learn about the other annoying pests.

Ask a Question