Slate rock sheets

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Where I live there are plenty of mountain areas that have an abundance of slate rocks that I can get for free. I was thinking of getting some to decorate my yard with. Are there any hazards associated with slate, other than its tendency to be sharp?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
It is only sharp if it is cut into thin sheets. There are some fabulous Crevice gardens made from slate Not been able to find any pictures though, but if you Google Crevice Gardens there is plenty of info on how to make them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If the slate sheets are sufficiently flat an wonderfully attractive rustic patio could be constructed. First spread an underlayer of sand, fine or coarse. Then arrange the slate sheets so that almost touch in an irregularly, non-repeating pattern. Nestle the stones int the sand sot hat they do not wobble or shift. Next brush additional coarse sand between the stones until the surface is level. In spots that are not often tread, many small herbs will grow between the flat stones. Plnat and otherwise encourage the lower and finer plants, while clipping or gently pulling any that are too large or coarse. Fine-leaved Thymes (Thymus), Veronica, Rupturewort (Herniaria), Babies' Tears (Soleirolia soleirolii), Corsican Jewel-mint (Mentha requienii), and Sedum would be some of many excellent choices to plant and encourage.

Ask a Question