Sister Sites

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've added a couple of links to the sidebar on the main page, which link to sister forums of this site:

https://www.gardenpondforum.com
https://www.diy-forums.com

These sites were started a long time before gardening forums, and we linked to this site from those ones - so some of you are already members of there :D.

I thought it may be worth adding the links here, as there may now be members here who own a pond that may find the other site helpful at times. The DIY forum is fairly quiet in comparison to here, but I know we have lots of DIY/Workshop enthusiasts here that may be interested too.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Did not know about the DIY One lol I do need help with mine ..............Like some one else to hold the Tools hehe You would not want to see the state of my Decking Its so bad its like triggers Broom but not put together so well :confused: If I see a hole I just place a bigger peace off wood over it (y)

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Ian for the links. You've now sidetracked me because I was settling nicely into the gardening forum adding my assorted stories but now I've also got a DIY forum to play in; pity I'm retired with very little spare time so due to my workshop and projects I'm now spending more time on the DIY forum. :)(y)

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I subscribe to a USA dedicated site for saxophone players. At this present moment world-wide there are nearly 2000 members on line.

The concensus of opinion is that if we spent as much time practicing as we spend on the site, then we'd all be better players.

Gail_68

Beauty blooms in the garden as well as the heart.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
@Ian thanks for the links but i'm quite satisfied with being on here with getting to know new members besides knowing old ones plus daily chores and the gardens takes my time up, if I spent all day on the internet I know what hubby would call me...a lazy C*W :LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Someone needs to invent 48 hour days so we can get everything done in a day :ROFLMAO:.

Alan Wicker made one of his "Wicker's World" documentaries for the BBC a few decades ago. It was about a gated retirement community in Florida? which was entirely run by the residents, Security, post, fire, utilities etc.,

He said it was, "The only place where you get up each morning with nothing to do and go to bed at night, with only half of it done."

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Since leaving school in 1962 I've always worked 48 days; I thought this was normal; now in retirement I need longer days. :):D

I'm spending more time on the sister DIY forum these days due to my current projects but I keep running out of time.

https://www.diy-forums.com/threads/metal-spinning.289525/#post-1733926

I've really struggled to get into the workshop due to other more pressing matters but in the last two weeks I've enjoyed learning metal spinning; these new challenges keep me interested and active. (y)

Kind regards, Colin.

Gail_68

Beauty blooms in the garden as well as the heart.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I'm spending more time on the sister DIY forum these days due to my current projects but I keep running out of time.
Colin I've just looked at your link and you do nice work, I bet you could easily do parts for cars (y)

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hi Colin, hows your garage work going? :)

Thanks for asking Gail_68. :)

Sorry for the late reply but I've only just noticed your post. It's all coming together; I've now completed the two coach lamps and once the whether improves I'll install them and wire them in. During working on these lamps I learned the basics of a new skill fracturing a rib whilst doing so as seen here;

https://www.diy-forums.com/threads/metal-spinning.289525/

I used to own my own garage business in my mid twenties and yes I could make parts for cars in fact I still make parts that are missing when I buy an old woodworking machine to restore.

The reflectors on both lamps were badly corroded so I learned metal spinning on my Graduate woodturning lathe; I was taught to use my head and hands as an apprentice; I've never attempted metal spinning previously but I found the process fascinating and one of the pictures of the new reflectors can be seen above.

I'm now tidying my workshop putting like with like together rather than have things stored randomly. I've already gathered my power tools in one place and identified each power tool case as seen in the picture below; due to all the metal spinning I've been doing the bench tops were cluttered so now these once again are clear of clutter awaiting my next project. I can always find something to keep me busy and interested. :D

Kind regards, Colin

Benches cleared of clutter ready for my next project.

Blue covers are dust sheets over my metal cutting bandsaw and Lorch Schmidt metal lathe.

Power tools stored together and clearly identified.

Last edited:

Ask a Question