Single leaf Straberry? Mutation?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am wondering if this is a mutation of some sort, or simply a "stolon"/"runner". Something about this photo looks very off to me.

Is this normal?

Attachments

• 20160626_190751.jpg
    20160626_190751.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 289
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yep, looks like a pillbug ate it when it was just emerging

Then why is it that I cannot see the nodes where the other two leaves are supposed to be attached? I see no scars on the leaf.

Additionally, I watched it closely as it was growing, and as far as I could tell, it always had the one leaf :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Then why is it that I cannot see the nodes where the other two leaves are supposed to be attached? I see no scars on the leaf.

Additionally, I watched it closely as it was growing, and as far as I could tell, it always had the one leaf :(
No two plants are ever the same. Chill out dude. Plants are just like people, we all are not identical twins. You have to realize that horticulture is not an EXACT SCIENCE like math. If it were then every tomato plant and every corn plant and every other kind of plant could be exactly the same. And if that were the case it would be very easy to control everything from growth habits to harmful maladies to diseases to insects and to anything else you can imagine. I appreciate you curiosity but THINK. Use you curiosity for something useful, like root propagation, or a better grafting technique, or a hybrid tomato cross that will set fruit in hot weather? Or corn that will produce numerous ears? Or drought resistant beans or squash that can feed third world countries. Or cotton that doesn't need some kind of pesticide. This is my last post to you. I try to help people with their gardening problems, insects, diseases, how to do this or that, not indulge in some fantasy of something irrevelant

Ask a Question