Similar threads

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Reaction score
I have noticed that as well, I found it odd, but I'm not sure the forum admins can do something about it. I could be wrong though ;) Let's see what everyone else has to say.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I have noticed that as well, I found it odd, but I'm not sure the forum admins can do something about it. I could be wrong though ;) Let's see what everyone else has to say.

I hope so too.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Unfortunately it's not something we can do much about - the similar threads feature just works on picking out words in thread titles. Normally it's pretty good, but it's far from perfect. If I could get it to pick out similar threads that were very much on target, I could sell the technology to Google for millions ;).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My guess is that the reason they show up as similar is because they both have the word "one" in the title. I have found this same scenario many times when I go to post new threads. When I input a title, a list will sometimes appear, and those threads have nothing to do with what I am about to post about. Technology is only as smart as people make it out to be.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Honestly I pay little attention to those because they are invariably old and defunct threads (unless they're pertinent to something I am trying to find answers for.)

On another forum I'm on they are called "zombies" and its very frowned upon to resurrect them unless one is truly adding something useful. But it both cracks me up and irritates me when people respond, not seeing that the Original Poster wrote the op years ago and has not been seen since.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
My guess is that the reason they show up as similar is because they both have the word "one" in the title. I have found this same scenario many times when I go to post new threads. When I input a title, a list will sometimes appear, and those threads have nothing to do with what I am about to post about. Technology is only as smart as people make it out to be.

I wonder why only the word 'one' is picked up :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Unfortunately it's not something we can do much about - the similar threads feature just works on picking out words in thread titles. Normally it's pretty good, but it's far from perfect. If I could get it to pick out similar threads that were very much on target, I could sell the technology to Google for millions ;).

Just trying to sell my technology to Google :LOL:. How about basing it on tags. We do not put tags there. :confused:

Ask a Question