Sick kalanchoe?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
Wasn't quite sure where to post this.

I had a kalanchoe given to me a couple weeks ago -- it had been left outside where temps got as low as 40F.
I brought it in, repotted it with the original dirt, plus more, in to a larger pot.
I know it requires bright light, but in Newfoundland that is rare -- many cloudy/cold days in a row, little sunshine.
This is what it looks like now. What can I do to help it?
(I cropped the photo and took out the busy background -- hope you can see it well enough)

Reaction score
Hi there! So sorry to hear about your kalanchoe....! If I were you I'd start grabbing some cuttings from the plant on the left, the plant on the right looks so sick. Are you sure there are no aphids present? Also are you watering it too often? I noticed Kalanchoes don't like a very damp soil, they do well if you water them only when the soil is really dry. I actually watered mine when I started to see signs the plant needed some water (the leaves). They did perfectly, sadly the aphids got them, which wouldn't be a problem if only I had had the time to treat them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
Thank you for your reply! :)
I do not see evidence of aphids. I know that these plants are not very thirsty so I've tried to be careful about that.
However, when Hubby replanted it, he soaked it thoroughly. Maybe that started it. ??
I'll do some cuttings from the healthy one and try again.

By the way, Hubby and I think it looks like it's trying to bloom (buds on top) -- true???

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
Look at it now! I didn't change anything, just put it under a lamp more often. The leaves are no longer turning yellow and the flowers are prolific! Yay!

Ask a Question